BMW warranty cost!!!!

Toy24

Reaction score
Hi All
Just received another increase on warranty premium. I am thinking it has become too expensive and I wondered what other peoples experiences have been with claims etc. It seems £35 a month is getting a bit out of hand.

Cheers

If it's like the BMW car extended warranties, it's a damn sight cheaper (per day) to pay all at once and if you sell/part ex, you can claim back the unexpired/unused bit of the premium (pro rata refund - less £25 admin charge) provided you haven't made a claim. Benefits: cheaper/can sell the car with it if you wish or get some moolah back. Drawbacks: need to pay all at once.

By contrast, the monthly premium option is much dearer per day and can't be transferred with the car.

I dare say both the annual and month to month premiums have gone up which was the main gist of your post, but the annual option has got to be worth considering.

Don't forget it also includes brake down cover so if you had to join the RAC OR AA how much xtra is the BMW cover? I have it on my GSA but it is restrictive. It's really a insurence cover not a warranty. JJH

£35 per month is a lot for a bike, I pay £105 a month for a 2014 M3

Yes it is expensive, if you regularly venture out side of the uk and take the emergency element of cover you get the full blown might of BMW behind you. For me that is reassurance enough. I like to think that they will get my sorry arse out of trouble when it hits the fan.
I have not heard of any tales of woe regarding poor service in this respect, I am sure there will somebody along to prove me wrong.

Take you point on the recovery outside uk but not going outside this year and have uk breakdown cover on insurance cover and this is why I'm thinking of ending the agreement. Just wondered what experience folk have had with warranty issues on the bike. ie has the cost of the repair outweighed the cost of the warranty.

which? magazine did a piece on car warranties a while back but obv not exclusive to BMW or motybikes.

General conclusion IIRC was that non manufacturer warranties were riddled with small print and much less straightforward than their manufacturer equivalents and that the modest cost of breakdown repairs was usually much less than the cost of the warranty. Doesn't directly answer your Q from personal experience. Also doesn't help much if you get saddled with a mahoosive bill but might help slightly with the weighing up exercise. No simple answer to this methinks.

Take you point on the recovery outside uk but not going outside this year and have uk breakdown cover on insurance cover and this is why I'm thinking of ending the agreement. Just wondered what experience folk have had with warranty issues on the bike. ie has the cost of the repair outweighed the cost of the warranty.
Yes, rear shock failure. cost of shock alone £1200.00
The cost of most repairs on the bike will excede the warranty cost.

Just signed up to warranty direct much better cover than bmw.
They have a special offer in June 20% of with code wd20. I am paying £263 for year on 2014 GSA LC with 18,000 miles

I cancelled my extended warranty after a year (when the bike was 3 years old) thinking that I could have my own pot as others have suggested. In my fourth year of ownership, I've had several issues including rear shock failure, switch gear problems and rear brake caliper issues that have completely blown away any savings. I've found it quite hard finding independent motorcycle garages willing to work on the LC GS (even ex-BMW tech's). Despite having full service history, I found the dealers less helpful and willing too. I've never made any 'goodwill' claims but two recently have been rejected by BMW. From my experience, I wouldn't own a modern BMW motorcycle now without warranty.

I've loved my GS and it's a fantastic bike but they seem to be a headache when problems arise and are out of warranty.

Just signed up to warranty direct much better cover than bmw.
They have a special offer in June 20% of with code wd20. I am paying £263 for year on 2014 GSA LC with 18,000 miles

Delete the cost of the European Breakdown Cover from the BMW policy and I doubt there's too much difference (cost wise) between the two policies

Good look with your 'cheap' Warranty Direct policy

I've had the opinion that once the two year warranty is finished, I then service my own bikes.

If something fails, I upgrade it to a higher spec item (often still cheaper than OEM).

Never had a problem selling my bikes and they're always in top condition.

I got fed up years ago of pissing about with poor quality components (on warranty claims) whereas if I liked the bike overall, I'd just sort the part by upgrading it.

Warranty is just another insurance policy. Whether you choose to take it is entirely dependent on your own personal appetite for risk.

I've paid for it every year since the 2 year warranty ran out on my 2013 LC. Yes it's expensive but the Euro breakdown is how I justify it.

Last year I had the left hand switchgear fail on me in Italy. I found the nearest BMW dealer using the Nav 4 and headed over. I wasn't expecting them to really do anything for me and I'd have carried on with the trip regardless. However, having shown them my extended warranty paperwork, within an hour they'd stripped the switchgear off a brand new bike and fitted it to mine and waved me on my merry way. No excess charged either which was a bonus!

the extended warranty covers less than the original. I had exhaust flap and quick shift replaced under warranty, but neither would be covered by the extended option

Mine is under extended warranty and very soon will be getting a new left hand switch and very possibly a new esa rear shock , how much would I have had to find to pay for that lot including the labour and shock recalibration

Mine is under extended warranty and very soon will be getting a new left hand switch and very possibly a new esa rear shock , how much would I have had to find to pay for that lot including the labour and shock recalibration

when the switch gear failed on my RT I was told by the dealer that the BMW follow on warranty didn't cover switches. BMW fixed it under goodwill.

when the switch gear failed on my RT I was told by the dealer that the BMW follow on warranty didn't cover switches. BMW fixed it under goodwill.

do you think having paid for an extended warranty increases "goodwill" and so you more likely to get a payout even when not under the T&Cs?

Back
Top Bottom