Grosslockner pass

Ninj

Reaction score
Thinking of riding the Grosslockner pass in August, any general advice and also where to stay for a couple of nights please.
Thanks

It takes a morning to ride (including coffee stop)

are you en-route from/to somewhere, or are you looking for somewhere to stay for a few days?

Do the pass midweek, it has to be quieter than weekends.

Me? I'd do a search and take a chance.......... It's only accommodation

Al

If it's early in your planning then Bratislava is worth a ride

Nockalmstrasse is another and as it is far less crowded, to my mind it's much better whilst you are over that part of the world

LINKY

Thanks al
Will be travelling from Garmisch and was thinking of staying over night, then heading back to a Garmisch before heading back up to the Mosel.

Thanks al,Joe and Old rat.
I Will be travelling from Garmisch and was thinking of staying over night, then heading back to a Garmisch before heading back up to the Mosel.

Anywhere that will take an RT rider. That limits your choices considerably.

That's my old neck of the woods. here is my suggestion

Ride over the Grossglockner take the B106 (lovely fast sweepers) briefly the B100 and then the B99 northwards. Great ride following the river up to Gmund. Gmund is a good place to stop overnight, small town but plenty of places to eat and drink and has a really interesting Porsche museum. Up early to take in the Nockalmstrasse, (so good you will want to do it both ways!) then back on the fabulous B99 and then B159 for a look at the "Where Eagles Dare Castle" at Werfen then onwards towards Salzburg. If you have plenty of time you could stop over for a visit to the "Eagles Nest" but it does take a few hours, you can't see it from the public road. Again if time permits then look up the Deutsche Alpenstrasse you can do at least part of it on your way.

John

Try the bike friendly Gasthof Hochalmspitz in Maltatal, stayed there in 2015. Rode from there up to the dam, a pleasant ride and nice views. There is a toll but its free if your accomodation provides you with a Karntencard (which this place does) , it also gives discounts on entry to the Grossglockner and Nochalmstrasse.
Its very popular with Brit bikers, lovely area, and the owners have a computer loaded with routes for your sat-nav, free to use and tuition available if you've never uploaded a route before (like me!)

www.gasthofhochalmspitze.com

Try the bike friendly Gasthof Hochalmspitz in Maltatal, stayed there in 2015. Rode from there up to the dam, a pleasant ride and nice views. There is a toll but its free if your accomodation provides you with a Karntencard (which this place does) , it also gives discounts on entry to the Grossglockner and Nochalmstrasse.
Its very popular with Brit bikers, lovely area, and the owners have a computer loaded with routes for your sat-nav, free to use and tuition available if you've never uploaded a route before (like me!)

No comment!

What is it like since the Dutch takeover? Quite a few changes since John & Roz passed on the baton.
Probably a bit of a stretch for the OP, if he is on little more than a day out from Garmisch.

The GG is an expensive ride these days & only worth it if the weather is good; even then make sure it's a weekday. Remember, if it looks like a shower in the valley, it could be sleet/snow/fog up top. We had an interesting descent the other year when the weather closed in unexpectedly & temp dropped to near zero in a matter of minutes. Hail initially, then turning to sleet, with all the bikers taking cover initially, then making a run for the exit. I think we all managed to keep it the right way up, just.

There's a nice guest house called "Simonhof" within about 25km of start of Pass. They can also sell you reduced price toll tickets.
I'd recommend it, they are very biker friendly.

What is it like since the Dutch takeover? Quite a few changes since John & Roz passed on the baton.
Probably a bit of a stretch for the OP, if he is on little more than a day out from Garmisch.

The GG is an expensive ride these days & only worth it if the weather is good; even then make sure it's a weekday. Remember, if it looks like a shower in the valley, it could be sleet/snow/fog up top. We had an interesting descent the other year when the weather closed in unexpectedly & temp dropped to near zero in a matter of minutes. Hail initially, then turning to sleet, with all the bikers taking cover initially, then making a run for the exit. I think we all managed to keep it the right way up, just.

No need to avoid weekends if you can get out of bed in the morning! Even on busy days, early and late you will be fine. The absolute worst days are often the first good day after a few days of bad weather. Everyone staying in the area has been waiting for the chance and they all take it at once.

John

As squibb34 said above, the weather there is quite changeable.

Last July, we started on a day that was bright and sunny. Started getting gray as we got to the top, went through the tunnel and came out in fog and rain. Had to follow a bus all the way down - couldn't see far enough ahead to pass it.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpeg
    IMG_0177.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 715
There's a nice guest house called "Simonhof" within about 25km of start of Pass. They can also sell you reduced price toll tickets.
I'd recommend it, they are very biker friendly.

If you mean the old Herbert & Margit Breitfuss place in Hintertal, sadly they sold up a couple of years back. I think there may have been a succession issue brewing in the background.

Now it's a fancy 2 block appartment set-up, aimed quarely at the wealthy skier (excellent local snow record) - I think Margit still manages certain aspects, but the whole place is owned by a Dutch consorteum. It was a quirk of local planning that permitted the development & allowed the family to semi-retire. Shame, Herbert was good fun, a good cook & a keen biker. Margit, bless her was pretty easy on the eye too.

If you mean the old Herbert & Margit Breitfuss place in Hintertal, sadly they sold up a couple of years back. I think there may have been a succession issue brewing in the background.

Now it's a fancy 2 block appartment set-up, aimed quarely at the wealthy skier (excellent local snow record) - I think Margit still manages certain aspects, but the whole place is owned by a Dutch consorteum. It was a quirk of local planning that permitted the development & allowed the family to semi-retire. Shame, Herbert was good fun, a good cook & a keen biker. Margit, bless her was pretty easy on the eye too.

Shame As you say was a good friendly place.

Lots of good advice Need to sit down and sort it all out now. Thank you to everyone for your input, much appreciated ����

Back
Top Bottom