Vertically Challenged New Member like to say Hi

waybehind

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this sort forum thingy, i am about to embark on a life change. Selling the BMW M3 and going back to bikes with the ambition of travelling Europe both as guided tours and solo, something is telling me to just go and do it.

I am looking to go for a GS1200 around 2014/15 in age, my challenge is i suffer from Duck's Disease ( my ass is to close to the ground ) at 5 foot 5 inches in old money. So looking around the lowered chassis second hand market is like rocking horse manure, this means bitting the the bullet and buying a standard height bike and have a dealer lower it for me.

Does anyone know what this is likely to set me back, or does any one know where i can get the complete kit so i can diy it or is this a dealer only modification due to all the electronic gubbings.

Welcome to the forum :thumb2
It's more to do with inside leg length so start there and we'll see what we can come up with

Welcome.
I'd keep checking the dealers. Mine is an ex demo model, low seat / low chassis model.
Some dealers do get them in. For the likes of me & you to try.

Just got back from Bahnstomer and they have confirmed i need the Low Chassis, Low Seat option, they informed me it would cost as much as a new bike to get a 2014/15 lowered due to the ESA setup each shock costing almost £700 each then the side stand and centre stand, so looks like i am gonna be hanging around for a GS for some while, but thanks for the feedback will keep my eye out for a dealer ex demo.

Why not buy a lower bike, lowered GSs look ridiculous imo :D

Just got back from Bahnstomer and they have confirmed i need the Low Chassis, Low Seat option, they informed me it would cost as much as a new bike to get a 2014/15 lowered due to the ESA setup each shock costing almost £700 each then the side stand and centre stand, so looks like i am gonna be hanging around for a GS for some while, but thanks for the feedback will keep my eye out for a dealer ex demo.

Cheer's

That's utter bollox, ;) not you btw!!

If the above was true, how do i ride my 2006 GS?? non lowered?

OK to get you back onto a GS -

Height has sod all to do with it. its your inside leg. for the record i'm 5'5" with a 28ish inside leg.

I rode my GS back from London way with a standard height seat / suspension. needed some forward planning on stops but do-able ;)

To make it hobbit friendly

Get a lower seat takes off about 1-2 inches off the normal seat height. wind the rear suspension to it's lowest setting and reduce

the bump and rebound accordingly.

Thats my set up, and i can get tip toes both feet, one ball / flat if i need to on the LH / RH as required.

If you want to go lower - Hyperpro do lowering springs 25mm & 30mm if i recall @ £84 each

Lowered side stand - breakers or dealer

Lowered centre stand - breakers or dealer

Way less than what youve been quoted.

check out http://cycle-ergo.com/

Play with the figures and the options .

Once the bike is moving, it dosent matter what size it is,

and as people say to me .... feck its a big bike,,,, it is, but any bike is a big bike to a hobbit ;)

Mart :)

im only a 30 in side leg i brought a lowered seat that was all i needed if your ever passing this way your welcome to jump on a see if you can touch the floor

if you are prepared to travel, there must be a factory lowered bike in a dealer somewhere.

Failing that get these
99365eadbb94d41b4f9d3b85432d8e84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pair of boots with a raised insole can help, giving up to an inch extra on the effective inside leg length

Daytona M-star boots for example.

I've got a low chassis r1200gste LC for sale! Pm me for details or call me if you like? 07896700043

A pair of boots with a raised insole can help, giving up to an inch extra on the effective inside leg length

Daytona M-star boots for example.

+1 on the above. I've got a factory lowered TE but if I was only riding solo I could manage the standard bike (I'm 5'7) If you're not going to carry a pillion then you may well get away with a standard height GS with a low seat or Give Florence a call

Thanks for all your responses, going for a low seat standard suspension, seems fine if I shift my ass to the left a fraction can plant my full foot so happy with that. On the train now to pick up a 2016 Alpine White beauty from Motorrad so looking forward to having a bike again

Thanks for all your responses, going for a low seat standard suspension, seems fine if I shift my ass to the left a fraction can plant my full foot so happy with that. On the train now to pick up a 2016 Alpine White beauty from Motorrad so looking forward to having a bike again

If it's got ESA then be very wary about playing around with the suspension settings when you're sat on it ;)

Back
Top Bottom