Col de la Bonette accessible southbound from Jausiers ?

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm heading over the RDGA next week and pretty much know the route without GPS.
But I was looking on Google Maps and it still won't allow a route from Jausiers heading south over the Cime de la Bonette onwards to Isola :

e27c11736905c40f75f7b065347c24d2.jpg

I've had a look on the Alps Portal and it's shown as open,but Google Maps won't let you plan a route when winter closures are in force or if a road is shut.

Does anybody know if the road southbound from Jausiers is open ?

If not we'll take the alternative route to the west over the Col de la Cayolle.

Ta muchly.

Glitch in google maps?

THere are a few similar glitches in Basecamp where only the addition of waypoints to force the route- sort it.

Al

Glitch in google maps?

THere are a few similar glitches in Basecamp where only the addition of waypoints to force the route- sort it.

Al

Yup,tried adding waypoints but nothing will force it over that road,which is very unusual as I've done similar a few times in last few years.

Went over Crayolle on way back from Monaco F1, apparently Bonette was open.

Ok,ta

Is it re-routing you? I have found when planning routes over some of the passes, the software is desperate to re-route you and not take you on what it sees as a convoluted low speed twisty journey. I've often had to put in a way point every 1/2 mile or so .... ??

..... I see your reply to Al ...

Try waypoints mm apart .... ?!

The high passes of RDGA can close at any time of year if there is snowfall, obviously less likely mid July than early June, but I think you will just have to see what's what on the day.

At least there is a great alternate route a bit to each side :thumb2

Great time to go, will be lots of roadside snowbanks - just watch for meltwater on the bends.

This is common with Google maps and some route planners. Sometimes if a pass is seasonal for when its open, the planner will not accept the route. Example would be Timmelsjoch.
So set the route as close as possible, then a part two starting at the other side of the pass.
This is what I have done for our up coming trip via T.joch

..... I see your reply to Al ...

Try waypoints mm apart .... ?!

The high passes of RDGA can close at any time of year if there is snowfall, obviously less likely mid July than early June, but I think you will just have to see what's what on the day.

At least there is a great alternate route a bit to each side :thumb2

Great time to go, will be lots of roadside snowbanks - just watch for meltwater on the bends.

Thanks boys.

Yup,it's not really an issue,but just seems odd,as I've been over the RDGA 3 times in the last 2 years and have used Motogoloco which must have a feed from Google,as you can't plan routes until the winter closures finish.

If the Col de la Bonette is shut for some reason,then it's no big deal to turn round and go back to Jausiers and take the westbound route over Cayolle.But I'd like to show the g/f the view from the monument at the top of the Cime dlb if the weather is kind.

Rasher,
ta for the tip.
We did the RDGA same time in 2015,and I'll be in 'The Cage' on this one,so will have the benefit of 4x4 (with a modicum of poke).

I guess you have used a zumo, and done a point to point?

I still have this nagging memory about garmin being obstinate somewhere down there.

Al

been having similar first world problems planning routes for later this month - my Zumo is convinced that Col du Galibier is inaccessible. Mind you, it only opened yesterday...

been having similar first world problems planning routes for later this month - my Zumo is convinced that Col du Galibier is inaccessible. Mind you, it only opened yesterday...

And quite often they shut the col road but the tunnel will be open.

Basecamp works well as it does not take into account seasonal closures.

If you run "My Route App" and pay for the full version you have a choice of Google, Garmin and Tom Tom maps and can also select an option to "avoid seasonal road closures" with the latter two, only a click or two to swap your routes from one map to another and / or toggle the closures on or off.

I guess you have used a zumo, and done a point to point?

I still have this nagging memory about garmin being obstinate somewhere down there.

Al

Right now, in basecamp on a mapset that is 1 yr old on my laptop - if I try to do a point to point from Jausiers to a point to south of CDLB - it routes me via Digne Les Bains. (using shortest route in preferences).

I reckon there is a gap in the mapping over CDLB.

There is similar between Castellane and Grasse I remember - where Basecamp refuses to take the route requested.

Al

Basecamp works well as it does not take into account seasonal closures.

If you run "My Route App" and pay for the full version you have a choice of Google, Garmin and Tom Tom maps and can also select an option to "avoid seasonal road closures" with the latter two, only a click or two to swap your routes from one map to another and / or toggle the closures on or off.

There is a setting for seasonal closures both in Basecamp and Mapsource and the same on your device. New Garmins seem to come with the "avoid seasonal closure" option ticked as default. As for Google maps, yet another reason not to use them because they assume you are using the route now so wont allow the use of seasonally closed roads if you try to plan your route out of season.

John

This is common with Google maps and some route planners. Sometimes if a pass is seasonal for when its open, the planner will not accept the route. Example would be Timmelsjoch.
So set the route as close as possible, then a part two starting at the other side of the pass.
This is what I have done for our up coming trip via T.joch

But Timmelsjoch was closed - did try but barriers down, tracked back up to Solden then took Kutai over towards Innsbruck b4 heading south to Jaufenpasse, that was May 21st....

But Timmelsjoch was closed - did try but barriers down, tracked back up to Solden then took Kutai over towards Innsbruck b4 heading south to Jaufenpasse, that was May 21st....

All Alpine passes might be closed at any point, even in high summer as rain in the valley falls as snow on the top. I had eight summers in Austria and our high roads always closed at least one day a month throughout the summer. Check on the day you plan to ride a pass, sun in the valley in no guarantee a pass will be open

John

Just checked on Tyre. Even though it is Google maps based the calculation turned out to be via Col de Madeleine and Col de la Lombarde.

The pass was open on Wednesday (June 7) but the snowploughs hadn't cleared the route to the top of the Cime de la Bonnette (the loop that goes up to 1802m). So you can ride north to south - or south to north - between Jausiers and the Tinee valley without problems. Just not up to the highest bit.

But you never know - they might have pushed that bit by now as well. The necessary machines were all parked there last week.

The pass was open on Wednesday (June 7) but the snowploughs hadn't cleared the route to the top of the Cime de la Bonnette (the loop that goes up to 1802m). So you can ride north to south - or south to north - between Jausiers and the Tinee valley without problems. Just not up to the highest bit.

But you never know - they might have pushed that bit by now as well. The necessary machines were all parked there last week.

Ta.
Just done it yesterday and they still clearing the Cime loop.

Back
Top Bottom