Data logs - anyone an expert?

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Iv'e been capturing data logs from my 1200gs for a couple of runs now

looking through the reams of data, some is self evident. RPM / gear change

Some is flatline but clearly ok ,

others bounce like yoyo's, but are more than likly within there operating perameters (Lambda sensor)

Some i'm guessing need to be read in conjuction with other logged data.

Anyone done any of this before, and can give me an insight as to what is relevant or irrelevant?

My issue is the percieved low ide & cutting out

mart

The GS-911 FAQ refers to the JvB maintenance DVD for instruction on how to use the GS-911 for maintenance. The 911 forum and FAQs are worth a check.

The GS-911 will not record a faulty coil or injector. It will record symptoms that can help diagnose such things.

A weak fuel pump can cause backfires into the intake ports due to fuel dribbling at low revs.

A faulty coil will cause that side to run rich. Unburnt fuel does not use its share of oxygen which the ECU sees as a weak mixture so adds extra fuel. The engine then runs rich.

I'm no expert other than solved the above by working out why the problems were happening. GS-911 would have made it easier to find the faults.

Iv'e been capturing data logs from my 1200gs for a couple of runs now

looking through the reams of data, some is self evident. RPM / gear change

Some is flatline but clearly ok ,

others bounce like yoyo's, but are more than likly within there operating perameters (Lambda sensor)

Some i'm guessing need to be read in conjuction with other logged data.

Anyone done any of this before, and can give me an insight as to what is relevant or irrelevant?

My issue is the percieved low ide & cutting out

mart

Done it lots and lots of times. Send me a text with your email and I'll respond so you can send me the .CSV file.

+1 :thumby: for sending the .CSV file to Roger.
He has had a vast amount of experience with this data.
PM him for his email address and email the file to him.

Clever things those GS911's. I got mine mainly for service resets and brake bleeding. I check all the bits I can, esa, instruments etc but have no idea about data logging. I have a relay and fuse box in the tool tray so have nowhere to put the 911 to log on the move. Bike feels fine but works be nice to know all is well with mixture/lambda etc.

It would be nice (but not imperative) to record exhaust gas temperatures. Is there any way to use the Lambda outputs to do that?

I'll send it back to you as an Excel file with some charts of the "key parameters and comments on them.

:) Allready doing that on a daily basis since last week,

its the other bits "key parameters and comments on them" which would be greatly appreciated

Mart

Clever things those GS911's. I got mine mainly for service resets and brake bleeding. I check all the bits I can, esa, instruments etc but have no idea about data logging. I have a relay and fuse box in the tool tray so have nowhere to put the 911 to log on the move. Bike feels fine but works be nice to know all is well with mixture/lambda etc.

The OBD port lead is long enough for the GS911 to sit in the tool tray ... it may with some judicious wigging fit under the tool tray , or the pillion seat mount

Mart,

Below are some comments on the attached Excel file that you sent me. Probably the easiest thing to do is to comment on each column in the order of the data log.

Time: This is the time in milliseconds that each row of data was taken. Divide by 1000 and you get the time in seconds since the start of logging. Your GS-911 is sampling every 0.5 to 0.6 seconds. There is an option in the PC software to control the rate.

Injection Time: This is the injection time calculated by the ECU (BMSK) using all of its sensors (air temp, oil temp, barometric pressure, rpm, throttle position, etc.). In most of the map and under most conditions, this number should result in an AFR of lambda=1 (14.7:1 for gas without ethanol). Long term trim corrections (additive and multiplicative) are applied to the left and right cylinders separately. These can be logged on certain bikes by using the latest GS-911 software.

Lambda Control Factors: One for the left and one for the right. The are scaling factors (e.g. 0.95 means 95% of the Injection time number is being applied). The BMSK uses these to fine tune the Injection time during Closed Loop operation. The factors vary between 0.8 and 1.2. If you look at these and see how much they vary moment to moment and left to right cylinder you can appreciate how important Closed Loop operation is to accurate fueling. When the BMSK is in Open Loop operation, LCFs are 1.00.

Speed: Vehicle speed

RPM (a primary input for calculating Injection Time): These are the sample by sample values. For example, an RPM of 1357 tells you that the engine was rotating at that speed at the moment the sample was taken.

Intake Air Temp: Temperature of air entering the throttle bodies. It’s a secondary input used to get the Injection Time close for Closed and Open Loop operation.

Engine (Oil) Temp: Primarily important for cold starting, it allows the BMSK to calculate extra fuel before the engine is warm enough for Closed Loop operation.

Cylinder Temperature: The temperature of the cylinder head.

Ignition Angle: The number of degrees before Top Dead Center that the spark coil is fired. If you map these values, you will see that the BMSK is very active in managing the spark advance from about 5 degrees to nearly 40 degrees.

Ignition Dwell: (I’m explaining it out of order because it relates to Ignition Angle) This is the time in milliseconds that the coil is charged before the spark is fired. On the R1200 it runs around 2 mS but notice that the coils are charged for 6 mS the first few times the plugs are fired, to get a fat, hot spark.

Throttle valve position: The percentage that the throttle has been opened by the rider. This is one of the two primary values used to compute Injection Time (the other is RPM). Note that the BMSK uses the Idle Stepper motors to open the throttle for idle so Zero degrees open doesn’t mean that the throttle is fully closed. A value of 15.3 means you have opened the throttle 15.3% of its range. 100% is the max.

Engine Load: This is a number the BMSK calculates that is the percentage of maximum engine power being produced. Note that at idle, the Engine Load is about 12%!

Battery Voltage: Just what it says, not that during cranking your battery dropped from 12.78 volts to 9.56 volts, fairly low. Then after the engine starts it takes about 3 seconds (using the Time column) for your alternator to start charging your battery, at 14.4 volts.

Knock Sensors: I don’t know what the units are but they are used by the BMSK to adjust ignition advance to minimize engine knock (pinging).

Odometer, Front & Rear Wheel Speed: Odo as you expect, Wheel speeds, I’m not sure of the units.

Idle Actuator Position (left and right cylinders): These values run from 0 to 256, 256 being the most open. The idle actuators are motors that determine engine idle speed as desired by the BMSK. As the engine warms up, these values go down. Typically the value is around 200 after a cold start and 50-80 when fully warmed up.

Ambient air pressure: Like air temp, this is a secondary input that reduces the time it takes the BMSK to zero in on lambda=1 during Closed Loop.

Lambda Sensor Voltages: These are the actual voltage readings of the O2 sensors, one of the most important inputs to the BMSK. It is used to fine tune Closed Loop operation by way of the Lambda Control Factors AND to fine tune Open Loop operation by way of the Additive and Multiplicative Trims (not shown in your log, perhaps the GS-911 SW is an older rev). 450 mV at the start of log is the value read during start up when the O2 sensor is cold. Greater than 450 mV means it sees a richer mixture than lambda=1 (14.7:1 for gasoline without ethanol) and less than 450 mV means leaner. If you saw 900 mV just after starting, that would signal a very rich mixture and is not unusual. During deceleration you often will see 100 mV or less. During Closed Loop operation these voltages vary between about 200 mV and 800 mV, back and forth about every second.

Following these values is a long list of “binary” values, meaning they are either 1 or 0. These indicate whether a condition is Present or Not Present (On or Off).

That’s it for now, hope it gives you a start in analyzing the files.
Roger

Hi Roger,

got the mail, cheers,, just need time to open and review .... busy here at the mo (fathers day ;) )

Mart

Back
Top Bottom