Route is longer in Nav V than it is in Basecamp

Thanks leedude03. Very helpful. I will look at that point on my PC and Nav this evening to see what I can see. :beerjug:

Might be interseting to see the distance it comes out as on the device if you optimise it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ok had a quick look at the route after transfer and can see at least 1 problem and thats between llwyn-y-gog and Aberhosan, whats the cause of this i can not tell and it may not even occur on your device when transfered but it may be there. picture below, and as i have said i have no clue as to why this would occur on my devices, it may be just some sort of anomally in that part of the map.

I've seen something very similar with certain routes on my Zumo 220: the routes are fine in Basecamp or Mapsource but show in the Z220's map display with odd straight lines linking shaping points. Making the Z220 perform another recalculation often solves the problem. Perhaps you could try this to round out on your experiment?

In practice I never had any problems when actually following a route with these weird anomalies, as it is obvious when out on the road where the route goes. ( I only follow the route using the map screen, not audio prompts)

I have zoomed in to the section identified by leedude03 on my Nav V and it looks perfect!?! Odd. Still says 283 mi on Trip Planner overview, 266 mi on 'Review Trip' and 269 mi in Basecamp (both PC & Nav). I haven't optimised route Adventuredon as, as far as I can see, that just deletes all my shaping points and plots a route to get there as fast as possible.

I expect Tomcat is right and this will not be apparent at all when I am riding it this weekend - I certainly hope so! I'm not worried about it. The only reason I have posted this is that I have sent my route to the other 4 guys and I didn't want to send them something that has an error in it. That and the fact that it makes no sense to me that Garmin is displaying three different distances for exactly the same route!

Probably a daft idea as I'm new to Nav V, but your Nav V isn't modifying the route slightly because you have 'Curvy Roads' selected, is it? This weekend in France I followed my Nav V instructions off a fairly major road, along another which wound it's way to a roundabout where I went right round, back down and rejoined the major road I'd just left. Detour of a mile or so I'd guess. It wouldn't take many of those (difficult to see on the map) detours to add up to your discrepancy. Just a thought. :)

Thanks Sea Dog - but no, just faster route.

A bit of feedback: The routes I had plotted (about 600 miles there and back) worked perfectly. I had one surprise, around the point leedude identified, when my route followed a very minor road for a couple of miles but looking at my shaping points it was actually what I had plotted. So, it doesn’t explain why Garmin was showing different distances in the route overview and the ‘Review Trip’ info’. If others find this anomaly then it doesn’t necessarily mean you have made a mistake.
Also, thanks to this site and Wapping in particular, I did both routes with my Nav set to not recalculate – something I’ve never done before. It prompted me to recalculate a few times for no apparent reason (which I declined) and knowing that I was following my route the whole way without any risk of the Nav interfering was very satisfying! The other four in my group had their satnavs set to recalculate and although they did recalculate occasionally, the shaping points in the route kept them all consistent. So that was good too.

Back
Top Bottom