For Khyam biker fans

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As suggested on another thread I was torn between 2 Khyam tents to replace my faithful Khyam Biker. Said tents being the new 'Biker Plus or the Freelander.

Khyam were good enough to let me order both tents and return the one I didn't want. Had to pay for both and pay return postage obviously.

Reason for wanting to swap...I really want to be able to stand up to get dressed or changed and want to be able to sit in a normal height chair in the porch.

Freelander...It's a very large erection and has a very large porch area. Easy to stand up in the porch me being 5'10" couldn't stand in the sleeping area. Plenty of room in the porch for 2 chairs when raining and all your gear. time to fully erect took 14mins.

Found it quite difficult to put up, kept getting taffled up in all the material. No side door and the door was difficult to unzip from the inside.

Taking down, again found it difficult to wrap up small enough to get it back in the carry bag. To long to fit in my existing Overboard waterproof bag and very heavy at 12.8kg.

Once up and pegged out properly it was a nice tent, with loads of porch space. wouldn't want to put it up or take down in bad weather.

Would have considered it more had I have been using it with a car rather than the bike.

Biker plus...Claimed by Khyam to be the same weight as the biker 5.8kg, actual weight is 7kg, neither here nor there really.

Slightly more difficult to erect than the standard biker as it has an extra piece on each pole. From taking out of the bag to all 4 corners pegged and able to chuck stuff inside took around 3mins, fully pegged out took me 8mins.

Uses the exact same footprint as the Biker but looks twice as big. Porch area is the same size but much more usable due to the extra 50cm height. I could stand with my head bowed and sit in a proper sized chair, much easier to get in and out of the door and the front door is much more usable than the standard biker.
Sleeping area, again same footprint but I could stand fully in the middle and would be able to stand to get dressed no problem.

Easy to take down and no problem putting it back into it's carry bag. Fits into the same waterproof Overboard bag I used for my biker no problem.

So, I've decided on the 'Biker Plus' and hope it give me as many trouble free years as my 'Bikers' did.

Only problem I can foresee is that it's an unknown quantity in strong winds, but I'll take extra guy ropes and cross that bridge when I come to it.

Going to miss my Biker, but I do need to be able to stand up these days. :rob

As suggested on another thread I was torn between 2 Khyam tents to replace my faithful Khyam Biker. Said tents being the new 'Biker Plus or the Freelander.

Khyam were good enough to let me order both tents and return the one I didn't want. Had to pay for both and pay return postage obviously.

Reason for wanting to swap...I really want to be able to stand up to get dressed or changed and want to be able to sit in a normal height chair in the porch.

Freelander...It's a very large erection and has a very large porch area. Easy to stand up in the porch me being 5'10" couldn't stand in the sleeping area. Plenty of room in the porch for 2 chairs when raining and all your gear. time to fully erect took 14mins.

Found it quite difficult to put up, kept getting taffled up in all the material. No side door and the door was difficult to unzip from the inside.

Taking down, again found it difficult to wrap up small enough to get it back in the carry bag. To long to fit in my existing Overboard waterproof bag and very heavy at 12.8kg.

Once up and pegged out properly it was a nice tent, with loads of porch space. wouldn't want to put it up or take down in bad weather.

Would have considered it more had I have been using it with a car rather than the bike.

Biker plus...Claimed by Khyam to be the same weight as the biker 5.8kg, actual weight is 7kg, neither here nor there really.

Slightly more difficult to erect than the standard biker as it has an extra piece on each pole. From taking out of the bag to all 4 corners pegged and able to chuck stuff inside took around 3mins, fully pegged out took me 8mins.

Uses the exact same footprint as the Biker but looks twice as big. Porch area is the same size but much more usable due to the extra 50cm height. I could stand with my head bowed and sit in a proper sized chair, much easier to get in and out of the door and the front door is much more usable than the standard biker.
Sleeping area, again same footprint but I could stand fully in the middle and would be able to stand to get dressed no problem.

Easy to take down and no problem putting it back into it's carry bag. Fits into the same waterproof Overboard bag I used for my biker no problem.

So, I've decided on the 'Biker Plus' and hope it give me as many trouble free years as my 'Bikers' did.

Only problem I can foresee is that it's an unknown quantity in strong winds, but I'll take extra guy ropes and cross that bridge when I come to it.

Going to miss my Biker, but I do need to be able to stand up these days. :rob

Did you take any photos to aid this review ?

I've recently been looking at the Biker plus... Is it big enough for 2 people comfortably and can you fit a GS inside the porch zipped up?

Hi Rob.
What waterproof bag did you find to fit the biker thanks. Mines a bit bulky.

Attachments

• 1505659823933.jpg
    1505659823933.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 2,214
^bump...

Anyone recommend a not too bulky drybag (preferably compression) for the biker with footprint thanks...

We had the predecessor to The Biker (forget the name) for 10 years, it was a brilliant tent but it finally wore out. The biker did not have the features of the old one but I guess it was cheaper to make and therefore sell and their biggest market must be rally goers.

We went with the Freelander and are generally very happy with it.
Yes the door is not ideal and you definitely need the additional door fly sheet.
It never looks like it will go back into the bag but always does - just stuff it in - this is however a 2 man job - 1 person can erect it.

We use it in Europe or good weather in this country, however we have been in the occasional overnight storm with no major problems - dripping from the toggles :eek:

Lots of our friends have Kyham tents but again they are used for continental holidays and summer rallies.

Good to read this as i've just sold my trusty Kyham Igloo (G4 version) which i must have had now for nearly 10 years. I bought it off an old forum member who i've not seen on here for a while now (forum name G4).. It's been a great piece of kit and never let me down, used in all weather conditions and was last used only recently on a trip to France with Blues and Twos at the back end of May.. First night camping in the New Forest ( Should have been in France, don't ask!!) and had torrential rain for a few hours but not a drop leaked in.. We rode back on the night of all the lightening strikes and the tent was in an Ortlieb dry bag strapped on the back of the bike. Eventually got home and left everything in the garage... We're off to the Adventure Bike Rider event next weekend so thought i better get the tent out and make sure it's all ok.... Unfortunately the dreaded mould got in and ruined it...
I knew it was time to replace it anyway and this gave me the excuse to look at something new and with more headroom as i'm sick of crawling around on my knees now. It was this report that got me looking at the Biker plus and after looking at a few sites decided to purchase one from Kyham. Should be delivered on Tuesday ready for it's first outing next weekend.. Will let you know how i get on with it..
So with this in mind i thought i'd stick the old faithful G4 on eBay, £25 starting price with a reserve of £50 and a buy it now of £150 (thought it would never reach that) i was honest with the mould and provided pics to show it. That was yesterday morning at 0900. At 1100 i received notification that it had sold for the buy it now price and immediately received notification of funds received in my Paypal account!!! Sold for more than i paid for it nearly 10 years ago... The new owner lives not far from here so thought i'd ride round and drop it off and parked outside his house was a lovely Range Rover G4 edition:cool:, he told me he already has 2 G4 tents and wanted another for the G4OC to use....:p Result all round..
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Lx2rXE]Untitled by Chris Needham, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Lx2rFs]Untitled by Chris Needham, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27hWb1F]Untitled by Chris Needham, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27hWaSe]Untitled by Chris Needham, on Flickr[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom