Lac du Chambon tunnel - alternative route due to closure

wessie

Reaction score
https://inforoute.hautes-alpes.fr/wir3/cols.html says that they have closed the tunnel until next month to add security stuff. There was a collapse a couple of years ago so they re-routed the tunnel, opened it for the ski season and have now closed it to upgrade it.

I will be in the area in the last week of this month and want to do Grenoble-La Grave-Col Du Galibier and then back to Grenoble via the Col de la Croix de Fer.

I understand there is a temporary route on the south side of the Lac but cannot see this road on streetview. I'm happy to go across it on the new Tiger Explorer but companions will be a couple on a Goldwing and a nervous novice on an FZ8.

Has anyone done this alternative route? Do you need to be a rufty tufty adventure rider to ride it?

Been in place for 18m or so I think. I did the temp road in April 2016 in a loaded car so even a Goldwing should be able to hack it with care. It was a little narrow in places with some sharp blind turns but generally OK. If it's open, which I can't really help you with.

Google Maps shows the road as the RS1091.

Was across this route last Thurs. The French do everything to discourage its use. All the websites and all the road signs tell you it it is closed and divert you via Gap. It is open for small cars and bikes, nothing bigger. Follow the route from Grenoble to the barrage, turn right towards Les Deux Alpes and then in 1-200 metres go left. They call it "la route de secours".

Nothing to worry about. They have put some tarmac over it and called it a detour. Good for cars and bikes with a few blind corners. Frustrating a bit as the road up to there from Col le Laurtaret is really good. Been on it last September.

Lovely. Always forget about Youtube as a useful resource...

Was across this route last Thurs. The French do everything to discourage its use. All the websites and all the road signs tell you it it is closed and divert you via Gap. It is open for small cars and bikes, nothing bigger. Follow the route from Grenoble to the barrage, turn right towards Les Deux Alpes and then in 1-200 metres go left. They call it "la route de secours".

Thanks Jim....looking forward to the Pyrenees in a couple of weeks..

That temporary road looks far better than the A30 through Wiltshire

I wish I'd seen this on... I was also there last Thursday (well, leaving Briancon) but had a long way to go so decided to believe the signs and not risk it. Went the other way (Montgenvre, Mont Cenis) and hoped I'd get an early pass on the l'Iseran... no such luck: still shut, so back to Modane and Grenoble instead (but at least I picked off the Lacets at Montvernier as a compensation).

Tunnel now open

Over Grenoble-Briancon again today. Lac du Chambon tunnel is now open but until 21/08 only from 0500 till 2100. Still lots road works, traffic lights, heavy lorries turning. Could be quicker to still use the "la route de secours"

Over Grenoble-Briancon again today. Lac du Chambon tunnel is now open but until 21/08 only from 0500 till 2100. Still lots road works, traffic lights, heavy lorries turning. Could be quicker to still use the "la route de secours"

That'll be you and James touring about...having fun? Not a bit envious......

Back
Top Bottom