CARBURETORS R100GS

Weekday Rider

Reaction score
I recently ordered 40 mm diaphragms for my 1991 R100GS, first registered in Germany and was told the carb's should be 32 mm so mine have been changed since manufacture?

Who told you they should be 32mm? USA models of R100GS had 32mm but I didn't know they had them elsewhere. The part number is stamped on them so you can visually check that to see which ones are actually fitted to yours. as far as I can recall they were 40mm on that bike Jim and my current German R100Gs also has 40mm. perhaps some wires crossed in translation with whoever told you 32mm?

A similar confusion when ordering carb springs from USA led me to know this info, the hard way, hence pair of EZ springs for 32mm carbs being flogged cheap by me at moment. Perhaps the bod on phone thought you were in USA or that they were in USA?

I ordered the parts by phone from James Sherlock and asked for 40 mm. I was told (not by James) that I was wrong and needed 32 mm. I repeated my order then the chap checked his dater and confirmed I needed 32 mm. Obviously, after the carbs were stripped it was even more obvious that they are 40 mm so I phoned Sherlock's and told them. The chap told me that after my order he had checked with James and the carbs on my bike must have been changed because they should be 32 mm. Anyway, after inspection and confirming the diaphragm's were okay I left them and sent the 32 mm, wrong ones back, all at my expense I might add. Strange. The bike's running like a dream I might ad :thumb2

Perhaps you might move this thread to the airheads section Jim and see what the folk there think. Sounds like the chap you spoke with screwed up and is bluffing about Mr Sherlock confirming that he was right, as a matter of principle I'd be wanting an email from Mr Sherlock himself confirming that the Germans didn't deprive their home market of the 40mm carb which will have an advantage over the 80 when being run at high revs such as on an Autobahn. The yanks only ended up with 32mm because of emissions regs.

Something I haven't said yet, I have dealt with Sherlocks for many years and they have until now always been spot on. Professional, curious, well priced, quick, efficient and knowledgeable too. Please don't let my little gripe put you off. I will deal with them again. If I had been more assirtive and stood my ground I would have received the correct part and, they were only trying to help. :thumb2

Mine's a 1988 R100GS and - so we're all agreed- it has 40mm Bings.I bought new diaphragms this week for it.

Obviously you have the right carbs... I'd remove the carbs from the bike and then flog the bike... you'll find the proper bike for those carbs soon enough.

Selling a bike without carbs would definitely lower the price... but I'd give you a few hundred quid and I'll even collect it FOC. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom