Right.....help needed

As all approved BMW bikes have a 2 year warranty , find a nice low mileage used non ESA GS or GSA through the used bike network , fit decent aftermarket suspension and upgrade to the rest to the exact specification you want.

Someone else has taken the intital hit on the price and you build the bike you want and probably still have money in the bank

As all approved BMW bikes have a 2 year warranty , find a nice low mileage used non ESA GS or GSA through the used bike network , fit decent aftermarket suspension and upgrade to the rest to the exact specification you want.

Someone else has taken the intital hit on the price and you build the bike you want and probably still have money in the bank

I was going to order a new rally without ESA, but most GSAs i can find have ESA. no doubt some bright spark makes some adaptor thing to fool the canbus into thinking its there.

If you're uncertain, toss a coin.

It's not the result that matters but your reaction to the result.

Works every time!

Regarding Hilltop, phone up Geoff and speak to him, he will tell you what he can or cannot do.

You can always wait for the off road school to sell their bikes.

If you're uncertain, toss a coin.

It's not the result that matters but your reaction to the result.

Works every time!
I'll tell that to the wife!

Regarding Hilltop, phone up Geoff and speak to him, he will tell you what he can or cannot do.

I'll give him a call maybe, i know a guy called john does a chip, which has mixed results.

You can always wait for the off road school to sell their bikes.
erm no ta ! haha

Hi Nomad.. I had to pay quite a bit to swap to the new Rallye from my October 2013 regd GS LC TE..
I was very happy with my old bike, virtually no corrosion & very few problems..
I ended up with a new Rallye but specced it up to the same spec as my old one, all the packages & a rider package that also added the larger GS TE screen, split rear seat which also means a different luggage rack compared to the single seat Rallye sport.
It also has keyless ignition & gear shift pro, (I really like the keyless) one thing I like immensely is the hill start brake assist..
As someone mentioned earlier post, it's light & day from the older bikes, SAFER, more nimbler, better all round.. I have a R1200c (Chromeheads cruiser) on 2002 plate, luv the bike but always jump on the LC now..

Hi Nomad.. I had to pay quite a bit to swap to the new Rallye from my October 2013 regd GS LC TE..
I was very happy with my old bike, virtually no corrosion & very few problems..
I ended up with a new Rallye but specced it up to the same spec as my old one, all the packages & a rider package that also added the larger GS TE screen, split rear seat which also means a different luggage rack compared to the single seat Rallye sport.

So you basically specced it up to be the same as your '13 LC but with blue paint and a GS sticker!

Im sitting on the fence here, Im due to ring up BMW on monday to place an order for a new Rally.
But i cant see its 13000 pounds better than my 1150 GS.
Ive ridden it for 2 hours on saturday and tbh my wilbers kitted 1150 takes some beating.I dont want the ESA,hill start assist,gear change pro,abs,led headlamp and all that techno wizardry, i was just going to order one with pillion pack,heated grips, and cruise control..At this rate im gonna weld my wallet shut.
The story was the wife said to me ,your bike is a bit long in the tooth, and its about time you replaced it.Youve got the money, go buy a new one! .What a Girl!
But for me,other than the cruise,i feel the wc is just as good as the wilbers 1150.yes theres a bit more power,but i dont wring the neck on the 1150 very often anyways.The panniers are smaller,yes i know you can get aftermarket ones. just wiring in spotlamps on the LC needs a canbus adaptor ffs.Theres bugger all room under the seat for any gizmos unlike the 1150.Other than the fact its new machine with 2 years warranty and no grief and no mot for three years...im fading here
Somebody sell it to me please.I'm struggling to warrant it.

If you need to be heavily sold to on a brand new bike..... don't do it.

New bikes carry their own 'hit and miss' reliability issues. Financial Depreciation is huge. Warranty Claims at best are a pain in the arse. New bikes have loads of plastic bolted on them and never feel as sturdy as the old stuff. But then weight and balance are better usually on newer bikes.

A good sound mechanical bike is all you need to enjoy yourself. Doesn't matter how old it is, so long as its fit for purpose. All the mechanical wizardry I like, but it can dumb down your 'biker skills' to some degree.

I love new bikes, only because they make me feel good and I save hard to buy them outright.

However, if the money was a worry, I'd happily settle on an older minter. So long as I'm out riding it wouldn't matter.

If you need to be heavily sold to on a brand new bike..... don't do it.

My thoughts exactly. If you really, really wanted / needed it you wouldn't have started this thread. It doesn't sound like you're a flip-it-every-2-years / impress the neighbours / feed one's self esteem and social anxiety sort of chap, and from what you've said the desire for the new one hasn't quite come to the boil yet.

The new range of bikes will still be there in 6 / 12 / 24 months (as will any attractive deals) so if I were uncertain I'd be walking away and carrying on with the old donkey until you were really pissed off with it or really felt you want to show the world you have an awesome new steed - and go for it when it becomes a no brainer.

Are you a chap that needs abs

You have done ok up to now

Abs is one thing that puts me off modern bikes, I don't want it

You'll know when you need ABS and when it happens you'll be thankful you've got it. The GS is the first bike I've ever had with ABS. It's never gone off yet (in 2 years and 24K miles), but I know it's there to save my arse, but who knows when. It if never intervenes, that's great.

You'll know when you need ABS and when it happens you'll be thankful you've got it. The GS is the first bike I've ever had with ABS. It's never gone off yet (in 2 years and 24K miles), but I know it's there to save my arse, but who knows when. It if never intervenes, that's great.

Hold on though.....

What about if you're one of those awesome riders that believes ABS isn't as good as your own cat-like reactions? Or if its "another new fangled thing to go wrong"? Or if you believe that its too "establishment" and by rebelling against it you're being true to your biker roots?

Please don't use logic to try and bust a long, blindly-held belief. :rolleyes:

Hold on though.....

What about if you're one of those awesome riders that believes ABS isn't as good as your own cat-like reactions? Or if its "another new fangled thing to go wrong"? Or if you believe that its too "establishment" and by rebelling against it you're being true to your biker roots?

123 :D

Hold on though.....

Carry on with your belief it will help you, it may not

Ever needed it?

In anger?

In a crash?

Don't bank on it

Find an empty stretch of road and experiment to activate ABS, then you'll find out if it's any good and more importantly if you're any good

Until, how do you know it will save your arse??

Nearly cost me my arse twice, never have a bike with it again

Back
Top Bottom