First bike trip to France (and Switzerland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of next week I'm off on the GSA with Mrs F and my eldest stepson (on his MT07) for 6 nights riding through France to Switzerland and back. Been up to my neck with work etc so no time to do much research. Mrs F has booked the hotels and the plan is as follows:

Day 1 - Morning crossing to Calais, ride to Reims
Day 2 - Reims to Dijon
Day 3 - Dijon to Innertkirchen in Switzerland
Day 4 - Day riding in Switzerland - 5 passes loop weather permitting as it sounds fab
Day 5 - Innertkirchen to Colmar via Panoramastrasse
Day 6 - Colmar to Verdun
Day 7 - Verdun back to Calais

The routes for days 4 and 5 are sorted, but I wondered if anyone has recommendations for things to see/roads to ride/detours to make between...

Calais and Reims
Reims and Dijon
Dijon and Innertkirchen
Colmar to Verdun
Verdun to Calais

Want to avoid motorways where we can and haven't bought Vignettes for Switzerland as we don't plan to ride the motorways there - though I did wonder of it's worth buying 2 vignettes just in case and selling them after the trip if we don't use them.

Cheers chaps.
I did much of this a couple of years ago, for what its worth heres my 2 penneth
Switzerland is an easy 2 days away, a few more miles a day and spend more time in the Alps, it gives you a bit of leeway in case the mountain weather strikes ! (as happens to me everytime I take a bike to the Alps!)
Innertkirtchen is on the lead into to the Sustan pass and as such is a great starting point.
the Panoramastrasse is well worth the ride even if the weather is poor.
Buy the Vignettes don't fanny around ! over the cost of the trip its bugger all and believe me, although it is possible to drive through Switzerland without using the motorways it is a real ball ache in poor weather or when on a timescale (I know I have done it) whether you wish to take the chance of riding without one is up to you (I have done that as well) personally I don't think its worth the hassle, not when there are dozens of short cuts that are effectively closed to you without the Vignette, forcing you to take the long way around in 50 kph limits (again been there done that , wouldn't bother again)
Luxembourg is a really good option to consider as mentioned previously, and to my mind the route back Via Lux and Belgium is far more interesting than Via Reims, again you are on a timescale so you will probably be on the autoroute, the other advantage is the roads back from Basel through the Vosge and via Nancy, Metz ,Lux etc are tollfree so offsetting the cost of the vignettes.
all that being said, its your holiday, enjoy it :thumb2

I can recommend riding through Luxembourg, I was there in May and back again in September - but I avoid any place with "City" in the name :D

Pretty much any other Luxembourg Town would be a fine choice for Lunch, Vianden is particularly nice.

My partner lives just on the border with Lux near Schengen (she is half English et demi Francais ) its worth a run from Schengen up the Moselle river. I shall be riding there next weekend :beerjug:

Talking of Luxembourg, does the village of Nospelt still exist?

My old man was stationed there during the war and billeted at a farmhouse there. We used to go and stay there quite often when I was a kid. Seem to remember that it was pretty surrounded by forests and I'd love to visit again.

Can only say ride as you feel, the only really dodgy part is Calais, it is a warzone at the moment all around the area, especially at night, make sure all your gear is covered up, and watch out for branches and rocks in the road, as the migrants are trying to slow down trucks, and also steal what they can quickly, avoid like the plague north of France at night, any of the Ferry ports.

We use a Hotel on the Outskirts of Reims fairy regularly, area looks OK and it has a garage for the bikes, Troyes is a beautiful city to stop at, and once a couple of hours away from the Ports pretty much any gaff in any small town or village is unlikely to disappoint or see your bike vanish overnight.

For one night stops I find most small independent Hotels offer good value, they tend to be very clean and comfortable and knock up great food / supply good beer. Yet to find a Logis that is anything other than excellent value. Rarely do chain Hotels, but Mercure have impressed me home and away.

Can only say ride as you feel, the only really dodgy part is Calais, it is a warzone at the moment all around the area, especially at night, make sure all your gear is covered up, and watch out for branches and rocks in the road, as the migrants are trying to slow down trucks, and also steal what they can quickly, avoid like the plague north of France at night, any of the Ferry ports.
I'm just getting onto the ferry now. Anywhere less like a war zone it would be hard to imagine.

I'm just getting onto the ferry now. Anywhere less like a war zone it would be hard to imagine.

First hand local hands on experience; can't be beat.

I suspect Berlin man was reporting what a mate had told him.

First hand local hands on experience; can't be beat.

I suspect Berlin man was reporting what a mate had told him.

Nope mate I was their 2 weeks ago the French riot police where fighting hand to hand with the migrants, maybe they moved them on a little by now, but it keeps flaring up.

I guess the OP has now returned, richer for the experience.

The port of Calais is quiet and the obscure village of Nospelt has been located.

All's well that ends well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom