Dear Steptoe.....Please help, I am a Dickhead !!

Poucher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Scotland weekend last weekend, my mates were coming around for me at 08:30 but I'd been up since the crack of sparrow fart as I was so excited, so I thought I'd nip around the garage and fill the BM up ( was taking the BM because of the dodgy weather forecast ) Now I normally put Shell Advance 5 star in it, but the garage around the corner is BP, so I put 14 litres of BP Advantage in it thinking it was their 5 star equivalent..........wrong!!

Bike spluttered to a halt around the corner and the horrible truth dawned on me that BP Advantage is diesel!!!.....Arrghh!! :mad:

The shame of being transported 2 miles back home!! :tears

How the hell do I sort this out ??

Is it just a matter of draining the tank, taking plugs out to clean them and then filling back up with petrol and cranking it through, or is there something more complicated to it??

The fuel filter in the tank is overdue a change so I might as well get stuck into that and do it at the same time?

Had to swap horses pretty quickly and set off on my little red rocket 2 hrs behind the guys, no prizes for guessing where this is??

Prefer not getting the Duke up the eyes of sh1te but it did a cracking job over the weekend, and turned in 54.8 mpg on a steady ride back home!!

Now where's me drain can.....

P.S. how the hell do you rotate I phone pics :nenau

This has worked for me and others. You will need a can of easy start. It's an either based product. Drain tank. Fill with whatever petrol you like. Find air intake and aim spray of easy start into it while starting engine. The idea is for the engine to run on easy start till it clears the diesel in the system and runs on petrol. Prepare for smoke!!! ⚠️ this is a bodge and while I know it works I'm not giving anyone a blank cheque in case it dosent work or blows a cylinder head into the next street. JJH

A guy did exactly the same thing last year in Morocco filling his new Africa twin with the green nozzle, that was actually Diesel, colours mean nothing over there. Siphoned the whole lot out and refilled with petrol, luckily he hadn't tried to start it. It wasn't happy for a while but eventually ran normally, he learned a valuable lesson and no doubt some Moroccan got some free fuel.

It's no big deal, in fact will lube your pump and do it the world of good. :D

Empty, refill with petrol, start it and go.

Will smoke for a bit as the diesel burns off but no harm done.

But there's not much i can do about you being a dickhaead.... :D

I filled up with Shell V Power, ................. Diesel :blast

Read the sorry tale here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/433450-Help-broken-down

You may need a couple of flushes to get it out of the tank and you will probaly need easy start as suggested

My bike being a 1100RT I wanted to sort it with the tank in place as on a garage forecourt and did'nt want to remove the whole fairing just the offside.

disconect fuel pipe and pump it out on fuel pump

You are mere babes in the world of putting the wrong stuff in the wrong tank

I give you NOS :)

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/27-any...wont-start-after-using-nos-fuel-additive.html

Mart :)

That reminds me of one I came across on another forum a few years ago. Some guy put Dipetane fuel additive in the tank of his bike and it suddenly wouldn't start. Various members of the forum were trying to help him get it sorted. It became apparent that he just found the stuff sitting in his father's garden shed and decided to pour it into the tank. When he mentioned that it was a white powder, a few people told him that Dipetane isn't a powder, it's a liquid. After a bit of speculation, one member asked "It wasn't by any chance Dithane, the fungicide, you put into the tank - because that's a white powder". :blast

Finally got around to sorting the BM out last night...

Drained 14 ltrs of diesel out and transferred it to the car..
Took the plugs out and spun the engine over to purge the fuel pump / injectors..
Dried the plugs off heated them with a lighter and replaced...
Took lid off airbox and put a good spray of "Easy start" directly into airbox...
Part filled tank with 5 star..
Crossed fingers..

Hit the started button and after a lot of coughing and spluttering and farting ( but enough about me!! )...... it fired into life as lumpy as hell on one cylinder, chucking out clouds of smoke,
had to hit the button another 6 or 7 times before it seemed to pull some decent fuel through and run ok, ran it up and down the street a few times much to the neighbours delight as I'd filled the street with thick blue smoke!!

Looked like a scene from the "Titfield Thunderbolt"!!

Back in the game!!...

Back
Top Bottom