Yellow fuel in float chamber.

Captain Black

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here's a funny one ? :nenau

I'll be giving my GS 80 Kalahari a full service , doing the odd job that doesn't always get done. For starters I'll be running the fuel down, its almost on reserve now. The plan is to flush the fuel tank , tipping the last 1/2 gallon / gallon out to flush the tank. Last year I got some white / grey exhaust smoke while I was idling at the traffic lights after a long run and thrash on the motorway. I decided at the time I'd leave it until this year and give the bike a major service, I'm doing that this week weather permitting. Anyway decided I'd check the float bowls , little bit of dirt on each side in the bowl collector, only tiny amounts though. The strange thing is the right carb the fuel was clean and fresh looking, the left side was noticeably more yellow in colour , yet when I cleaned both bowls and tickled the floats on both sides the fuel was clear and fresh in appearance.

I'd jet washed the bike last year before my last run out , it was after that on the run that I noticed the white smoke... Water I though in the exhaust ?

Anyways, question.

Could the yellow looking fuel have been water hiding at the bottom of the float chamber ? The fuel would float on the water and that would remain at the bottom of the chamber but weakening the fuel mix causing the white smoke.? :nenau

Am I talking bollocks ...:D

The other thing is my fuel cap on the GS 80 when shakes in the hand sounds as though there a nut rattling around in it, my GSPD cap doesn't do this. Think I read somewhere once upon a time that if the tank can't breath , ie the cap is knackered this causes white ish smoke. ?

Again am I talking bollocks, did I dream that:augie

Sorry for the daft questions but it is that time if year....:D

Back
Top Bottom