Sat Nav Advice for USA

Thanks, can you say why you didn't just use Google maps, they are by far the best satnav i have ever used and always up to date.

Because my son who lives in US has unlimited data on his phone & had the Waze App installed which he prefers. We did use Google maps on my phone a couple of times , but buying data seemed pricey. So I usually had it turned off.

This was the text I got from EE on arrival at LAX

Welcome to The United States of America. Text TRAVEL to 150 to get a massive 500MB of daily data for a fixed £4.00 a day while you're there. Opt in once and you'll only be charged on days you use data abroad in an included country. For full details, click add-on.ee.co.uk/traveldata for free (check data roaming is ON).

Otherwise, you can choose a standard data add-on from £4 for 40MB. Click add-on.ee.co.uk for free to buy.

I bought the N America maps SD card for my Garmin and took it with me.
Sold it on eBay when I got home, for £15 less than I paid for it.

I'd agree that this is the most cost effective approach, but the traffic avoidance available on Waze & Google Maps in the cities really made a difference to some journey times. If you're not going near any it wouldn't matter. Equally, the mobile data signal in the wilds is not as good as you'd expect in say Alps or Morrocco, whereas a pure GPS would work regardless

Back
Top Bottom