640 adv in kit form

Nice job, I'm having to send my barrel off, there's a little scuffing on one side :blast

I normally use langcourt:thumb

Phew :D

Easing the barrel onto the piston:
It's a fairly short taper at the bottom, did you use any form of ring compressor esp for the scraper ring?

Phew :D

Easing the barrel onto the piston:
It's a fairly short taper at the bottom, did you use any form of ring compressor esp for the scraper ring?
You'll have fun with that ,they are a bastard!
I fit the gudgeon pin circlip into the piston on the cam chain side,
Then use a normal piston ring compressor to fit the piston into the bore.
I find it slightly easier going in from the top as the taper at the bottom of the liner allows the compressor to jam.( that's just my preference)
Then I push the piston carefully down so I can insert the gudgeon pin in from the right side,it's a very close fit but the oil ring will stay compressed if you are carefull.
Then I lower the barrel/piston onto the con rod,push the gudgeon pin in and then fit the r/h circlip.
The circlips are a really tight fit and it's worth practicing with the old ones to get the knack of it so you don't over stress the new ones.
Make sure the crankcase mouth is packed with rags so the circlip wont get dropped .
Hope that all makes sense

You'll have fun with that ,they are a bastard!
I fit the gudgeon pin circlip into the piston on the cam chain side,
Then use a normal piston ring compressor to fit the piston into the bore.
I find it slightly easier going in from the top as the taper at the bottom of the liner allows the compressor to jam.( that's just my preference)
Then I push the piston carefully down so I can insert the gudgeon pin in from the right side,it's a very close fit but the oil ring will stay compressed if you are carefull.
Then I lower the barrel/piston onto the con rod,push the gudgeon pin in and then fit the r/h circlip.
The circlips are a really tight fit and it's worth practicing with the old ones to get the knack of it so you don't over stress the new ones.
Make sure the crankcase mouth is packed with rags so the circlip wont get dropped .
Hope that all makes sense

Yes that makes sense.
I have already fitted the piston but can remove it then refit it that way as I have a ring compressor that allows fitting from the top.
May need to get a new clip though.

Yes that makes sense.
I have already fitted the piston but can remove it then refit it that way as I have a ring compressor that allows fitting from the top.
May need to get a new clip though.
Definitely get a new clip,it will ruin your day if that comes out.kerrrrching££££££££££

Nearly finished on this build,
Awaiting some small parts from ktm,
Then I can fit the tank properly,and commission the bike.
Looks the dogs danglies:D

Attachments

• 748C38B4-398D-4C13-9E09-41FC0711BE00.jpg
    748C38B4-398D-4C13-9E09-41FC0711BE00.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 313

Back
Top Bottom