DAB Radio

Unlike FM, DAB radios need a good groundplane (flat metal area like a car roof) to work well. It is difficult to find such area on a bike let alone a helmet. This is undoubtedly why BMW radios (made by Alpine) do not offer DAB functionality on their tourers.

There are many stories of folks who have fitted after-market car DAB units without a properly grounded aerials and have experienced patchy reception.

I have had success by using a proper DAB car aerial mounted on a top-box and the secret was to remove the rubber passenger backrest and hide several layers of folded aluminium kitchen foil underneath. This seemed to be sufficient to mimic a metal car roof.

If all this seems rather a faff, then others have been satisfied with pocket DAB radios from the likes of PURE connected via 3.5mm jack. Maybe PURE do something with Bluetooth nowadays.....

if your satnav is bluetooth equipped ( mine's a Zumo590) I've downloaded a radio app to my iPhone ( absolute ) and stream music to the Zumo via the internet... it seems these days 3g or 4g signal ,which is required, is almost everywhere, and I've rarely had it drop out. i estimate if I was listening for 8 hours a day it would be using a lot less than my 20gb allowance with EE. The only thing is it does eat the battery on the phone, but on a long trip I will plug it in to charge it :thumb

Unlike FM, DAB radios need a good groundplane (flat metal area like a car roof) to work well. It is difficult to find such area on a bike let alone a helmet. This is undoubtedly why BMW radios (made by Alpine) do not offer DAB functionality on their tourers.

There are many stories of folks who have fitted after-market car DAB units without a properly grounded aerials and have experienced patchy reception.

I have had success by using a proper DAB car aerial mounted on a top-box and the secret was to remove the rubber passenger backrest and hide several layers of folded aluminium kitchen foil underneath. This seemed to be sufficient to mimic a metal car roof.

If all this seems rather a faff, then others have been satisfied with pocket DAB radios from the likes of PURE connected via 3.5mm jack. Maybe PURE do something with Bluetooth nowadays.....

Perhaps I should add that the faff for me was worth it, as on an audio-equipped RT it allows me to change radio stations with the control wheel.

Back
Top Bottom