USB connection options

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK so this must have been asked by someone else but I can't find what I'l looking for so sorry if this is a repeat.

I'm just about to get a 2008 1200GS and want to put a USB point on it to charge the phone whilst I'm riding. I've fouind 2 option but don't know if one of them will cause issues with the CANBUS system.

Option 1 - Oxford Products USB socket direct to battery. Will this work fine or could it cause the bike to get confused by any power draw when the bike is off?

Option 2 - Nippy Normans BMW Connection. Stupid question but is the port in the image standard on all GSs? I.e. will this work on my bike straight plug and play?

Option 3 - Touratech Instrument Tidy. Anyone fitted one of these?

Or can anyone recomend another better way to connect/charge my iPhone on the bike (will use it for nav/music)?

Cheers

Don wire a USB lead directly to the battery it will flatten it in no time. Do it via a relay and take the trigger wire off the accessory plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Option 1 is the most fool proof and will cause zero issues. It does have the potential to flatten your battery if you leave stuff plugged in though.

Option 2 has the potential to work. If you don't have anything already plugged into that point. It also has the potential to flatten your battery rapidly if it doesn't work right and it keeps the bike systems awake. Working properly though it should be quite good.

Option 3 all I see us expensive tat :-/

I have the oxford one wired direct to the bty. It has an integral switch in the cap so isn't live all the time. Make sure you get a 2amp one if you plan to run a phone GPS or it'll flatten the phones battery in no time.

I bought a cheap gadget 12v to 5v micro usb hardwire and wired it into a din plug which I plug in under the seat, this way I know it will turn off after the bmw set time if I don't do it I don't have the knowledge of can bus elec systems.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151970798598
Works well, small to thread through bike too

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

I've had the one of second items on my 1200ST for the last 4 years, except I sourced it from AliExpress for around £8 delivered. Virtually identical, only downside was the usual long delivery time of around 3-4 weeks. Oh, its never flattened the battery either.

Pete

I've had the one of second items on my 1200ST for the last 4 years, except I sourced it from AliExpress for around £8 delivered. Virtually identical, only downside was the usual long delivery time of around 3-4 weeks. Oh, its never flattened the battery either.

Pete

Something like this one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mot...id=0f7fa4f8-f9c0-4383-a22e-fb0a54ab394f&tpp=1

It doesen't appear to have an inline fuse which might not matter but I'm a bit worried about making the BMW electrics unhappy and then loosing all my money to a dealer to fix it!

It was something like one of these, wired straight to the battery (this one's mini-USB though, not micro....I can't find the actual item in my orders list unfortunately!) -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Katallobar-Micro-USB-Hardwire-Kit-Car-Charger-Power-Kit-Compatible-with-Mini-0803-0805-0806/32609624095.html

I also got one of these recently as a backup -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-Power-Adapter-Dual-USB-Charger-Din-Plug-For-BMW-Hella-Powerlet-2016/32704602244.html

Pete

The USB ciggy lighter adapter we bought recently for the car will hardly charge an iPhone. It's putting power according to the phone display but the charge rate is

A 5 amp USB will work fine (it's only 2 amp at 12V). Anything less might not do the job you need done. Make sure its switch by relay so you don't have to remember to unplug or switch it off.

As your only intending to charge whilst riding Id suggest either a lead from the onboard oulet at the front of the bike to a USB outlet or alternatly tap off the power outlet lead to supply a USB outlet mounted on the handlebars this way it will go off when the bikes not running.

If you want to charge with the bike off then get a direct wired outlet with a switch i.e.
9135927bfe76c0da11d3eae5bc0e155a.png

https://www.banggood.com/12V-Motorc...ne-GPS-Waterproof-p-1019343.html?rmmds=search

If you are planning on fitting more electrical <s>adornments</s> accessories you will be better fitting a bus bar fuse box with a relay.

Lots of choices and several caveats

I use an iPhone for SatNav, speed camera alerts and t.p.s - but rather than fiddling with wiring, relays and fuses etc I find an external lithium power pack does the job both on and off the bike. It lives in the tank bag, is charged overnight and keeps things simple

You can buy a small adapter to convert micro usb to lightning for an iPhone. c.£19 from Apple and c.£5 from ebay

That's what I have. The phone recognises it but the output power is only enough to maintain the phone's charge level. Also tried the Apple USB lead with the same effect. Maybe its the phone but it charges fine on computer USB outputs.

The Lithium power pack option makes good sense. They are really handy for use off the bike and are tough enough to take the abuse of bike vibration.

A power pack with an emergency engine start is even more useful.

Back
Top Bottom