Somewhere New Needed!

Farrow730

Reaction score
Howdy Gents,

Last year a couple of us holed up in Andermat Switzerland and spent the week pretty much riding nothing but the Furka, Grimsel & Susten Passes. These really were "roads to get your pegs down" on and as a result we became very good at hairpins & fast mountain riding - to the extent that by the end of the week we just had to leave as we were getting too fast, too damned cocky and looked like we'd been on amphetamines!!

So my question is "Where do I need to go to equal or better this?" or is it all down hill from here (sorry :augie )

Thanks in advance

if you are all that good, spend your money on doing as many track days as you can, a lot safer and you may come up against some one you can learn off.

if you are all that good, spend your money on doing as many track days as you can, a lot safer and you may come up against some one you can learn off.

Sorry, I thought this is the "Roads to Get Your Pegs Down" part of the forum??? As it happens I'm booked on my first track day in a couple of weeks and I probably will spend the extra few quid on a bit of tuition while i'm there, but thanks anyway for the advice.
:thumb2

Now, as I like travelling and biking holidays, etc. - as well as getting a wiggle on round the twisties - I'd be pleased if anyone has got any pointers towards similarly fun places on the planet.

Sorry, I thought this is the "Roads to Get Your Pegs Down" part of the forum??? As it happens I'm booked on my first track day in a couple of weeks and I probably will spend the extra few quid on a bit of tuition while i'm there, but thanks anyway for the advice.
:thumb2

Now, as I like travelling and biking holidays, etc. - as well as getting a wiggle on round the twisties - I'd be pleased if anyone has got any pointers towards similarly fun places on the planet.

The route de grande alps would have a the desired roads, along with many places like the vercours and the morvan area, then you have the Harz mountains in germany, also the ardennes and eifel region, i could go on there are so many more, and all the above that i have mentioned are good places to go and see.

Base yourself in Briancon, awesome roads in all directions. If you like long days riding you can cover large parts of the French Alps from there including all the stunning roads down to the coast.

Thanks Guys.

Route De Grand Alp is a good call! We did it a couple of years ago from Annecy to Nice and you're right it an awesome ride - could do it again the other way I guess? Maybe I missed the best part of the Ardennes as I wasnt overly impressed. I'll have to check the others out as I've only had a fleeting glimpse of Germany (down the B500 then into Austria same day) so the Hartz might be interesting. Briancon looks good at first look an the map.

Santander - Andora. Anyone done that route? What are the roads like - rough old back lanes or decently surfaced roads you can get a lick on - on? I've found some of the French D roads around the Grand Massif quite hard work in the past - on a big ol GS in the heat - and over-banded to the point of being almost resurfaced with a paint brush, so a bit dubious of staying too much on the back-roads.

Any more suggestions please keep them coming.

if its a really good road your after that is just over the pyrenees in spain i believe this one to be as good as any, its from a tour we did last year and you can have a read about it here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/431324-The-pain-to-Spain-tour/page2
i also posted the route in gpx format.

In the Harz region there are many good roads but one in particular is the road that runs past the Kyffhäuser Museum, do a search i believe there are a few youtube vids, its as good a piece of road that you can get. its the 85

I'd agree with the Pyrenees too :thumby:

Less crowded than the Alps and more flowing bends. The N260 on the Spanish side is mind blowing :beerjug:

Any more suggestions please keep them coming....

Now you and your mate have got very good at hairpins and fast mountain riding (coupled to the cession of on-track training you've now enjoyed) you'll be able to get your pegs down in supermarket car parks from Helsinki to Lisbon. The whole world really is your racetrack now.

But wait, maybe not... your week endlessly riding the same three passes left last you so scared that you were forced to stop, such was your amphetamine fueled like speeds and rush. Maybe you should just go back and learn to ride them without scaring yourself; your elevation to godlike status will then be complete.

Enjoy your holiday.

Now you and your mate have got very good at hairpins and fast mountain riding (coupled to the cession of on-track training you've now enjoyed) you'll be able to get your pegs down in supermarket car parks from Helsinki to Lisbon. The whole world really is your racetrack now.

But wait, maybe not... your week endlessly riding the same three passes left last you so scared that you were forced to stop, such was your amphetamine fueled like speeds and rush. Maybe you should just go back and learn to ride them without scaring yourself; your elevation to godlike status will then be complete.

Enjoy your holiday.

I like riding as fast as I dare round bends, preferably where there's not so much traffic as we have in the UK - I cant help it, it's just what I like doing. I haven't said anywhere that I'm any good at it, faster or better than anyone else, or after any sort of special status. If you disapprove that's your problem matey!!

To everyone else... Thanks for the tips, appreciate it. We've decided on Sort! :thumb2

I'm tempted to suggest the Jura and Vosges, but the last thing we need is English knob-jockey riding gods with an over-inflated sense of their own abilities on our roads.

I'm tempted to suggest the Jura and Vosges, but the last thing we need is English knob-jockey riding gods with an over-inflated sense of their own abilities on our roads.

Brilliant. Another trappy little bitch that can't keep her gob shut!! :tears

I like riding as fast... I haven't said anywhere that I'm any good at it....

Your overworked adrenal glands are interfering with your memory button, bikermate:

Last year a couple of us holed up in Andermat Switzerland and spent the week pretty much riding nothing but the Furka, Grimsel & Susten Passes...

as a result we became very good at hairpins & fast mountain riding.........

Enjoy this year's awesome hooning.

PS Just lovin' the 'holed up' adjective. Next you'll be haulin' ass to get there.

Just got back from see near ischgl in Austria. This is on the sivretta high alpine pass which is pretty juicy and a bloody enjoyable ride one way then back with plenty of severe hair pins and some pretty interesting elevation changes. Then a few miles down the road towards obergurgl you get the timmelsgoch pass which is another giggle and that leads on to the Jaufen pass which has hardly any barriers and some huge drops off the hair pin bends. My missus was screaming like a stuffed pig all the way from the pillion seat. At one point she was trying to get me to let her get off and walk. These are all within a few miles and are quieter than the major biking routes and well worth a trip. Stunning scenery too.

Just got back from see near ischgl in Austria. This is on the sivretta high alpine pass which is pretty juicy and a bloody enjoyable ride one way then back with plenty of severe hair pins and some pretty interesting elevation changes. Then a few miles down the road towards obergurgl you get the timmelsgoch pass which is another giggle and that leads on to the Jaufen pass which has hardly any barriers and some huge drops off the hair pin bends. My missus was screaming like a stuffed pig all the way from the pillion seat. At one point she was trying to get me to let her get off and walk. These are all within a few miles and are quieter than the major biking routes and well worth a trip. Stunning scenery too.
well ain't you the caring type :p I guess she's an ex-missus now ?

Farrow 730. You sound like my kind of rider. Have you ever been to the Harz mountain area. Lots of fast long curves and perfect road surfaces. In addition not too meant other bikers in this less well known area and police few and far between and not as strict as in the Black Forest .

According to a local there are only 3 static speed camera sites in the entire Harz area

Farrow 730. You sound like my kind of rider. Have you ever been to the Harz mountain area. Lots of fast long curves and perfect road surfaces. In addition not too meant other bikers in this less well known area and police few and far between and not as strict as in the Black Forest .

I'd agree with the Pyrenees too :thumby:

Less crowded than the Alps and more flowing bends. The N260 on the Spanish side is mind blowing :beerjug:

There's much, much more to the Spanish pyrenees the the N-260 ...

The reason I chose this was twofold: the entire 26 kms of road was built by hand in just 28 days during the Spanish Civil War - hence minimal earthworks - and I happen to live half way up it ... :)

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom