Twin Cam issues

snakebasket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What are the views on this, my twin cam has always been fine but not done millions of miles....this was posted on facebook so it could be iffy...

The problem is the design of the cam chain system. It uses plastic “shoes” riding on the cam chains that can (and do) wear out. Harley has made some changes in later model bikes, but even with the new hydraulic tensioning system, it is not a true fix. What is the problem? The shoes rub against the two chains and the plastic shoes wear out. When they wear in extreme cases, there will be metal to metal contact and this grinding creates metal shavings that can result in a catastrophic engine failure. If not caught soon enough, this can be so bad that the entire engine can be destroyed; cams, pistons, crankshaft and even engine cases broken. It is a wickedly serious possible engine problem. Be aware… it can fail as soon 15,000 miles (in extreme cases). Even the newer hydraulic system can fail at 50,000 miles or less. The cam chain tensioners have a section in every service manual that covers the Twin Cam engines and is very enlightening.

What are the views on this, my twin cam has always been fine but not done millions of miles....this was posted on facebook so it could be iffy...

The problem is the design of the cam chain system. It uses plastic “shoes” riding on the cam chains that can (and do) wear out. Harley has made some changes in later model bikes, but even with the new hydraulic tensioning system, it is not a true fix. What is the problem? The shoes rub against the two chains and the plastic shoes wear out. When they wear in extreme cases, there will be metal to metal contact and this grinding creates metal shavings that can result in a catastrophic engine failure. If not caught soon enough, this can be so bad that the entire engine can be destroyed; cams, pistons, crankshaft and even engine cases broken. It is a wickedly serious possible engine problem. Be aware… it can fail as soon 15,000 miles (in extreme cases). Even the newer hydraulic system can fail at 50,000 miles or less. The cam chain tensioners have a section in every service manual that covers the Twin Cam engines and is very enlightening.

It isn't difficult to check them. Just keep an eye on them once in a while for wear. There is a walk through on the HDRCGB site. You'll need to get a dentists type mirror to check them. Easy enough though.

this is what you don't want to see, these are from my Road King after 27000mls

Attachments

• DSC02337.JPG
    DSC02337.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 359
That paragraph was taken from James Russell Publishing which has been out a while.

If you google this you'll get the whole nine yards of "Before you buy a Harley" etc

Whether or not he has some legitimate points on reliability of particularly the Twin Cam I have no idea or perhaps he is just ranting because someone at HD gave him a "wedgie" when he was bent over or somefink? :nenau

When did these 'changes' take place ? Is there some sort of reference file ?

When did these 'changes' take place ? Is there some sort of reference file ?

I thought they changed them in 2006 so yours shouldn't be an issue. Doris will be better placed to say though.
But......don't panic Mr Mainwaring! They don't all go bang.

Back
Top Bottom