New GS1200 1st Service,BMW Dealer?

TwoTone

Reaction score
Picked up my new Rallye Sport this week going to need its first service shortly do I really need to travel a distance to a BMW dealer and hang about for hours or leave it and collect it later to have it serviced when Ive got a perfectly competent independent bike shop 100 yards from my work, is it just an oil change or is it plugged in to a BMW device that is only processed only by approved retailers?will it have a service due light that only Mottorad dealers can extinguish?I know it'll be worth more with a proper service history but not enough more to cover the cost in £ and my time in taking to a BMW dealer.

I was at Lind in Welwyn for 35 minutes while mine was done.
All new machines need an oil change and I couldn't have done it quicker.

Your hassle will be finding a dealer to book in in with.

R1200GSA TB

If it was me who'd spent £15k on a new bike, I'd suck the time and slight additional cost in getting the dealer service during it's warranty, simply to make any warranty claims easier....a good relationship with your dealer may well prove valuable with goodwill should something go wrong

Best get at least the 1st service done at dealer, they might not go out of their way to help you if you have any problems otherwise!!

Block Exemption rules don't apply to Motorcycles.

For the sake of your Warranty alone, go to your dealer.

If that bike falls apart for any reason, you're leaving yourself wide open.

Or just let your guys down the road sort it out and 'chance it' with BMW if you ever need to go back.

Picked up my new Rallye Sport this week going to need its first service shortly do I really need to travel a distance to a BMW dealer and hang about for hours or leave it and collect it later to have it serviced when Ive got a perfectly competent independent bike shop 100 yards from my work, is it just an oil change or is it plugged in to a BMW device that is only processed only by approved retailers?will it have a service due light that only Mottorad dealers can extinguish?I know it'll be worth more with a proper service history but not enough more to cover the cost in £ and my time in taking to a BMW dealer.

Wasn't the cost of the First Service included in your purchase price?

If it was me who'd spent £15k on a new bike, I'd suck the time and slight additional cost in getting the dealer service during it's warranty, simply to make any warranty claims easier....a good relationship with your dealer may well prove valuable with goodwill should something go wrong

Correct advice

You spend that money on a new GS bike and are worried about travelling the distance to the main dealer???

Treat it as an adventure :)

Correct advice

You spend that money on a new GS bike and are worried about travelling the distance to the main dealer???

Treat it as an adventure :)

I hear you but its still half a day at least,I don't get that much time to myself and so its an effort, due to work, family and other bikes Ill only do 2,000 miles a year so 4,000 miles when the warranty runs out so really not that much of a risk in terms of the bike going wrong, thanks for all your advice though I will take to a BMW workshop for the 1st service and see how it goes from there.

I hear you but its still half a day at least,I don't get that much time to myself and so its an effort, due to work, family and other bikes Ill only do 2,000 miles a year so 4,000 miles when the warranty runs out so really not that much of a risk in terms of the bike going wrong, thanks for all your advice though I will take to a BMW workshop for the 1st service and see how it goes from there.

you might live to regret saying that

They can do it whilst you wait.

Go to the dealer so as to protect the warranty.

At the time you come to change the bike I would have thought a full dealer service history would help, unless you keep it for a good while.

Block Exemption rules don't apply to Motorcycles.

For the sake of your Warranty alone, go to your dealer.

If that bike falls apart for any reason, you're leaving yourself wide open.
+1 - a must for your warranty.

Balderston can't be that far away from you? - drop it off first thing in the morning, 8.30am, arrange a loan bike and then pick it up just before they shut at 5.30pm.

That's what I do if I cant get an appointment for Saturday.

I was just going to say a BMW loan bike was my suggestion if you dont want to wait but usually if you grab one of their free hot drinks and biscuits it will probably be done in less than an an hour.Yes they will stick a diagnostic on the bike to check everythings hunky dory and usually give you a print out to keep on file.

Wasn't the cost of the First Service included in your purchase price?
No it wasn't I did get a very good deal having initially gone to see a used one which had been sold they were keen to register on for their Q2 Target so I honestly think Id pretty well had the top brick of the chimney as regards the deal and would have been in mortal danger if Id pushed for any more.

There are five authorised BMW dealers in your area and as your paying for the service it doesnt matter which you book the bike into so just pick the nearest
If you dont wish to wait the hour just book a bike to take out it should only be around £30 on top of the service
e168822fe56f66e66296766339bde300.png

Back
Top Bottom