No Sparks

Bubb

Dogsbody
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My lovely R80ST has died....
For the last couple of rides I have had occasional misses, ie; the bike feels like one pot or the other has not fired.
I did think it might be water in the float bowls as I had this before on my R100GS long ago...... but on dropping the float bowls, no water in ther bottom..... so that wasn't the cause for the misfires.....even tho' the bike has been soaked a few times recently
The, yesterday, about 3 miles from home, the bike misfired a couple of times, then died completely.
Its NOT the Ignition pickup (I did the spark plug grounded, flick kill switch on and off........ no spark at all).... and I have replaced the ignition bean can with an electronic pickup from Motorworks about 6 months ago after the bean can failed.

So thoughts: 1; Coil has failed
2: Dioded board failed.
What is the best way to test each, and is it possible without a multimeter as I broke mine in my last garage move.

Thanks in advance.

Bubb

My motorworks ignition failed after a few months ,either the replacement bean can or the ignition unit was at fault they replaced them and away it went . I think it was the ignition unit a few folks had a similar problem in the states with the unit.

Thanks Chris... next few days I will get the checks done, and contact Motorworks if needed...

Do you still have the original (grey) twin output coil fitted ?

The body cracks and they fail.
Usually get advanced warning it's on the way out as when riding in the wet the bike hiccups and misfires.

Neil
thanks, but its not an original coil by the looks of it,.... its not grey.
I did get a couple of misfires prior to complete lack of sparks.
If just been out this morning to purchase a cheap multi meter and will check resistance of the coils.
If its not the coils, then I'm suspecting the Siemens (Motorworks) ignition pickup, or the Electronic box it came with.
....not sure how to check the ICU box, but will do some research......

Bubb

Beemerboff
Thanks for the idea. It turns over fine, just no sparks, so doesn't appear to be the ignition button.

Bubb

beemerboff
Thanks for the idea. I have just taken the multimeter to the coils, and it looks like I have found the fault....
Just bought a new coil from Motorworks, and awaiting delivery.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Bubb

Well, finally got to the bottom of the problem..... the Motorworks Ignition Accelerator module ("lil box under the tank) had failed.
They were good, and sent me a new one as the one on the bike was just a year old.....
Fitted it this morning, and she has sparks !

It's a learning curve this old girl, but worthwhile IMHO.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions/help.

Bubb

Back
Top Bottom