Barcelona Moto GP

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just returned I thought I'd jot down some observations about our visit.
These may be useful to anyone going in the future but tbh they're as much a reminder for me next time I go.

The circuit

We booked our tickets via BookMoto.com and thy arrived recorded delivery over a week before the race.
I wanted a covered grandstand & the only available option when I booked was for the main grandstand (Pricipal Tribuna). Our seats were in the upper section (Alta) right at the back & afforded an excellent view of the pits, pit lane & the start finish straight. There are 2 screens near the grandstand which give reasonable views of the race but not brilliant.
If you want covered the only other option is Tribuna (grandstand) I (described as 'Excellence') & I would say this is a much better option as you can see the chicane, the last corner, the finish line & some of the other corners as well. There is a screen here also. These tickets sell out quickly though.
If you're not bothered about being covered then grandstands B, G, C & H offered the best views, IMO. Be aware though that if you go for an uncovered grandstand you will be in the full glare of the (potentially) scorching sun all day long. Cover up well, take a hat, take water & be prepared to still get burnt.
Food & drink is plentiful at the circuit, you'll pay a bit more for these than you would outside but that's what you would expect. Fresh fruit was available as well as the usual hamburgers, hot dogs, pizzas, beer etc. The queues weren't too bad even on race day.

Getting to the circuit.

Hmm. Easy enough, when you know what you're doing which we didn't initially but (sort of) worked it out by Sunday evening.
We asked at 2 different Official Tourist offices how to get to the circuit & were given the same information at both offices. "Get a train from Barcelona Sants, Barcelona Passeig Gracia or El Clot stations. Any R2 train will do. You can only buy return tickets on the day you wish to travel, you cannot buy any sort of 3 or 5 day pass".
Some of this is true, some of it isn't.
The stations mentioned are correct. Any R2 train WON'T do. Don't get on any R2 trains heading to Barcelona Estacio Franca. This is a terminus & you may sit like a clown expecting it to carry on to Montmelo as the locals file past you sniggering before they disembark & burst into raucous laughter at the shared joke of your stupidity. DAMHIK. :blast
If you do make this mistake, whilst it is the end of the line it's not the end of the world. The same train will take you back to the station you started at - you'll just have lost a little bit of time.
The trains to take are heading for either Sant Celoni or Granollers Centre. All 3 trains say R2 on the side but only these 2 will take you to Montmelo. They run every 30 minutes or so, 6 & 36 minutes past the hour respectively when we were there.

We travelled from Barcelona Passeig Gracia tation, platform 2. If you approach this from Place De Catalunya the 1st entrance has automatic ticket machines & not much else. This is the entrance the tourists use so is generally busier. The ticket machines do have an English language option.
If you cross over the road (heading uphill) the entrance opposite takes you to the main entrance which has ticket offices with real people in who speak good English (much better than my Spanish/Catalonian anyway) & are pretty helpful, as well as ticket machines. There is also a small café here doing takeaway or eat in food & drinks. The café also has a toilet though you may be advised to take some toilet paper with you........

Despite what we were told at the tourist offices you can buy T10 or T20 tickets which are valid for 10 or 20 journeys respectively & can be used by more than 1 person. All you do is pass the ticket through the machine as you enter the platform & pass it back for the next person to use. Each journey is stamped on the back of the ticket. You will need t buy a ticket appropriate to the Zone, Montmelo will require a Zone 2 ticket.

(Continued), sorry, tea got in the way. Now where were we?

Getting to the circuit, contd.

Montmelo is about 30 minutes away, there are toilets on the train.
Once you get to Montmelo buses to the circuit are available but they're not at the railway station. Take a left out of the station, left at the end of the station then a right which will take you up Montmelo main street. The buses are at the end of this road. You can use your T10/T20 tickets on the buses as well, each person's return trip to/from the circuit uses up another 2 journeys of your ticket (4 in total).
The return train journey per person this year was 5 Euros, the bus xfer to the circuit was 2 Euros 15 cents per person & the same amount back if you take this option rather than the T10/T20.
There weren't many buses available on the Friday, more on Saturday, most on race day, again as you would expect. Officially the last bus on Friday & Saturday returning from the circuit was 6PM, bizarrely on the Sunday the last bus was at 5PM.
The circuit is about a 25 minute walk from the railway station. We walked back after the races on Sunday as the traffic was bumper to bumper & the queues for the buses were pretty lengthy.

The T10/T20 tickets do have a time limit, IIRC it was about 3 months so you could use it to get back to the airport if you choose to take that option to get to/from the city centre (more of that later).

Food/Water/Drink.

No alcohol is allowed inside the circuit. You are also advised that you can't take any drinks of more than 50cl into the circuit but plenty of people seemed to take 1.5 litre bottles of water without problem. No glass is allowed to be taken into the circuit.
I took a rucksack & we bought water, sandwiches, crisps etc in Barcelona & lugged them to the circuit on Friday & Saturday. This was a waste of time. As you walk to the buses through Montmelo there are plenty of lovely little cafés, shops & bakers that sell everything you need & they are no more expensive than stuff bought in Barcelona city centre, probably cheaper & certainly nicer TBH.
We set off early on the Sunday, 07:36 from Passage Gracia & this gave us time for a relaxed breakfast in Montmelo & plenty of time to get to the circuit in time for Moto 2 & Moto GP warm up.

Barcelona.

We got to & from the hotel via pre-booked taxis booked with Talixo.com. The taxi meeting us at the airport was 45 minutes late turning up whuich wasn't brilliant but the return taxi was at the hotel on time & couldn't have been more helpful.
Next time, however, we'll use the train. I'm told that the tourist information people at the airport were particularly helpful.
We stayed here & it was ideal for our purposes:-

http://cataloniacatedral.barcelonahotels.it/

It wasn't cheap, just under £200 per night room only but it is in a brilliant location, is exceptionally clean, the staff were excellent & the roof top pool was perfect for relaxing at the end of the day.

Food was expensive in Barcelona but one restaurant we did enjoy was this one:-

https://restaurantemyway.com/en/

The food was delicious & the staff were very welcoming, if somewhat eccentric in a good way.

For quicker cheaper food option but just as delicious & filling I would recommend:-

http://woktowalk.com/

There are a few of these scattered about Barcelona one of which is a 3 minute walk from the hotel we used. The food is cooked in front of you & can be eaten in the place itself or taken away & eaten back at your hotel (or wherever takes your fancy).

Supermarkets.

Again there are plenty of small shops where you can buy essentials. There is a big one at the top of Las Ramblas (Carrefour I think) but frankly I wouldn't bother with it. It's not much cheaper than the smaller local shops & is rammed with people, queuing to pay takes forever. And they don't keep any of their wine/cava in fridges, at least not that I could find, whilst most of the smaller shops seemed to.

That's all I can think of for the time being, if I think of anything else I'll add it. If it's useful to some of you - excellent. If not at least I'll know where to look for a reminder next time I go.

NO ALCOHOL INSIDE THE CIRCUIT !!!!!!!.......:eek:

It's a long time since I've been to Spain to watch a GP (Valencia 2006).....Sounds like things have changed.

Perhaps that should read "You aren't allowed to take your own alcohol into the circuit"?
Mark

NO ALCOHOL INSIDE THE CIRCUIT !!!!!!!.......:eek:

It's a long time since I've been to Spain to watch a GP (Valencia 2006).....Sounds like things have changed.

It's the same in Valencia too Jonnie. Only alcohol free beer is available inside the circuit but there is a huge beer and food tent just outside the main gate.

I was there too and sat in Tribuna C (Rossi fan club area) and had great views of about 6 or 7 corners and a big screen but it was so far away you still needed binocs. Yes, I did cook in the heat and drank loads of water and coke (I tried the 0.0 alcohol free beer and didn't like it). I camped in the local municipal campsite right across the road from gate 6 and it was excellent. About 40 portaloos that were hosed out every morning and re-stocked with toilet rolls. They also had hot shower cabins on site. There was a covered outdoor table and chair area with three food trucks and a beer (with alcohol) one. Montmelo was party night on Friday and Saturday.

I also was at Mugello the week before and their onsite beer was alcoholic and they also had drinking water taps all round the circuit. I carry a 1 litre drinking container so I could refill it free anytime I wanted to. Scaperia was party central Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Both circuits are in lovely surroundings but I prefer Mugello.

I'm going to make the effort to do a ride report, sometime, as I never did any for the last two years.

I'm riding over to the Austrian MotoGP too as I went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it there.

It's the same in Valencia too Jonnie. Only alcohol free beer is available inside the circuit but there is a huge beer and food tent just outside the main gate.

This is what I was about to post. Valencia has at least two large beer tents outside where prices aren't too bad and as long as you ignore the flies on the meat the food is ok.

We went to Valencia in 2013 and you could buy beer in the circuit but 2015 and 2016 that had changed apart from in hospitality suites.

I was told it was Spanish law that prevented alcohol being sold but that's bollocks because we've been to the Superprestigio in Barcelona for the past two years and the first time they only sold alcohol free beer in the stadium but last year they sold the real thing :beerjug:

Just another thing I should have added.
On the Sunday they lay on extra trains to Montmelo, I beleive they're every 15 minutes.
We sat around at the circuit for about 50 minutes after the racing had finished and by the time we got back to the station there were no queues at all. The platform was very busy but the train arrived fairly quickly and, although it was standing room only, it was no worse than the daily commuter train home from work.

Great write up, mind if I add a couple of bits....

If you book early you'll get a discount on tickets, you can also book either on MotoGP or directly on the circuit website. I seem to remember prices can differ between the two though. I think you can check out the view from each grandstand on the circuit website. Friday is a sit anywhere day, but Saturday (in theory) you have to sit in your purchased seats. If you book like this you can simply print your tickets at home.

This was our second consecutive year of going, as it's only a four or five hour ride from home. We stayed on the coast and rode the 25 mins to the circuit every day.

A very good and well organised GP spoilt only by the poor organisation getting out of the circuit and the daft idea that everyone has to be checked out of their stand when going for a drink or pee.... Why they feel the need to do this I can't fathom, all it does is cause huge queues getting in and out of the grandstand.

Back
Top Bottom