Textiles vs leather..

Well I have put this in the virtual pub now.. .. This is what I did:

Well had about 10 hours blasting around the countryside today, great day! Umd and ahhd this morning but ended up with my leathers; final thoughts before setting off was better safe than sorry.. No crashing today I'm glad to report but as I was flying up to Hartside cafe in Alston I felt properly kitted out.. Was talking to a bike copper at Devil's Bridge was on a very impressive 1299 panigale, he said they have to wear 1.8mm thick leather and that they tested all kinds of textile materials and the leather won hands down..

Well if he'd put his hands down his rists would have been broken but his palms would have been OK :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd rather wear textiles than poorly fitting leathers. Personally I feel just as protected in my textiles as I did in my one piece leather wearing days. At the end of the day wear whatever gives you the most confidence which is generally the most comfortable IMO, without making you feel like an invinsible idiot as that'll surely just end in tears.

wear shorts, flipflops and tee shirt. Trust me you will shit yourself at 40mph instead of 90mph

:roll
To add , leathers are designed to fit well and thus the amour is best positioned to be effective .
Now textiles , be it Rukka , Klim or whatever will be loose fitting and to be honest the amour loose .
I agree if you hit a car / tree .. lights out . But leather to me when it counts for the reduction on gravel rash is a winner , textile only wrap you up in a fabric bag.

I bought BMW Rallye gear a few years ago and absolutely love it. Very comfy, good armour and great vents.
This suit was suggested by the guys at my local dealership as I was really struggling with heat and its been the best thing I bought.
I know some on here seem to think you're an idiot for wearing this stuff but I like it, works really well for me and that is what's important you must be comfortable.
Go with what suits you :thumb2

I bought BMW Rallye gear a few years ago and absolutely love it. Very comfy, good armour and great vents.
This suit was suggested by the guys at my local dealership as I was really struggling with heat and its been the best thing I bought.
I know some on here seem to think you're an idiot for wearing this stuff but I like it, works really well for me and that is what's important you must be comfortable.
The beige elasticated trouser of bike gear.

If this is what you think suits you, you need to take a good long look at your life.

:roll
To add , leathers are designed to fit well and thus the amour is best positioned to be effective .
Now textiles , be it Rukka , Klim or whatever will be loose fitting and to be honest the amour loose .
I agree if you hit a car / tree .. lights out . But leather to me when it counts for the reduction on gravel rash is a winner , textile only wrap you up in a fabric bag.

My pal had a decent 50 mph off ( low side) ended up doing a good slide along the tarmac and then hit the armco at a good rate

He was wearing leather troos and a Klim jacket all the gear did its job and he stood up without a scratch ! Admittedly all kit is pretty much written off but thats what its for

Oh and the Shoei Neotec also did its job when his head hit the Armco too

I have just bought som Leathers to go with the Hyper 939 though but thats for pose value

if you don't understand the question, you definitely won't understand the answer.

Ha Ha :yelrotflm
I knew that would be the exact answer you would give.
It can be quite predictable at times but I just won £10 off my mate for an almost word perfect answer so thank you for the entertainment and you have just done a bit for charity :thumb2.

Ha Ha :yelrotflm
I knew that would be the exact answer you would give.
It can be quite predictable at times but I just won £10 off my mate for an almost word perfect answer so thank you for the entertainment and you have just done a bit for charity :thumb2.
HTH, what charity?

if you don't understand the question, you definitely won't understand the answer.

If style was so important we wouldn't be riding GSs, generally accepted as the best allrounder, VFR of the ADV world. I other words beige, I certainly didn't have my GSs for style, I bought them for their comfort, 2 up ability etc.
Please give us some style tips as to what we should be wearing this season.

Great suit, I have one along with 2 Klim suits, Overland @ Latitude. The Rallye suit does everything you ask of it and looks good too.
Especially suited for hot weather touring with the great vents.
I'd buy another.

I wear all the gear, all the time.

Got a wide selection of winter textiles, leathers, kevlar jeans, boots, gloves, helmets, all sorts.

I think of accident protection as the 'last resort', physical investment for me and my bike.

I think of Accident prevention as the 'first resort', skills based investment and do a lot of training on this.

Stay hydrated, rest regularly, watch the road for melted tar. Car drivers will be impatient and heat exhaustion will be your enemy.

I wear all the gear, all the time.

Got a wide selection of winter textiles, leathers, kevlar jeans, boots, gloves, helmets, all sorts.

I think of accident protection as the 'last resort', physical investment for me and my bike.

I think of Accident prevention as the 'first resort', skills based investment and do a lot of training on this.

Stay hydrated, rest regularly, watch the road for melted tar. Car drivers will be impatient and heat exhaustion will be your enemy.
Hydrated is not the issue - core temperature is.
Good luck with the ATGATT, but be aware that a small increase in your CT is as dangerous as being over the drink drive limit.

Heat exhaustion actually happens in the UK? ;)

We had a very hot summer this year and a few days I was riding in 43c.

Hydrated is not the issue - core temperature is.
Good luck with the ATGATT, but be aware that a small increase in your CT is as dangerous as being over the drink drive limit.

Ok thats interesting.

So how do you measure and monitor what your core temperature is doing?

What are the signs to look out for?

Ok thats interesting.

So how do you measure and monitor what your core temperature is doing?

What are the signs to look out for?
Rather like drink driving, you'll be mostly unaware that your temp is rising. However, judgement and cognition are badly affected by increases in core temp. A (perhaps overweight) Tosser in a full insulating, (probably black) suit in a full-face helmet sitting on a motorcycle in full sun is a likely candidate for hyperthermia.

Measuring your core temp is probably not practical, but its not difficult to avoid hyperthermia. Personally, I avoid ATGATT when its hot (and most other times too) and choose jeans and T-shirt.
Pouring water over yourself works too.

Heat exhaustion actually happens in the UK? ;)

We had a very hot summer this year and a few days I was riding in 43c.

It does.:thumb

We get about four days a year where the whole country goes into meltdown, literally!:D

It does.:thumb

We get about four days a year where the whole country goes into meltdown, literally!:D

That's why I know so little about Body Heat control haha.

In the UK the amount of days we have where it is REALLY hot (above 35 degrees) is few. So I usually don't bother riding on those days (you don't have to wait long before the temps drop to a sensible level).

I've never ridden in Europe yet so my experience in extreme temperatures is limited.

Very interesting comment about Core Body temperatures though, hadn't even thought about that. Can't say that I've been effected by it though, but who knows, maybe I have and not realised it.

Back
Top Bottom