Power sockets problem - Turing off after 30sec

fs996

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an 05 hexhead, when I bought it there were two 12v accessory sockets already in place so I don't know if they are factory or not. One is on a metal flange under the seat, the other is on the left hand fairing panel.

I used them merrily for a while to power my decade old Garmin, but all of a sudden after a wet ride some months ago they started misbehaving.

With ignition on there is continuous power. If I fire the bike up and start riding the power feed switches off after exactly 30 seconds. This happens the majority of the time, occasionally I'll get lucky and it maintains power to my satnav for a while but then I'll stop and fuel up and it will be back to square one.

From my forum searches it seems that the socket power switching off after 30sec is normal behaviour when you turn off the ignition but not when the motor is running. Therefore it seems like the electrical system/canbus is confused perhaps as a result of water ingress or wiring damage somewhere.

I'm not much cop with electrickery but can just about do a few basics. Is it worth me pursuing this fault or should I just throw the towel in and run a 12v fused usb direct from the battery perhaps? I don't use heated kit, autocom or anything else it's literally just a USB charge facility that I need to power satnav or top up my phone.

Any help appreciated! :)

There's a switched power supply for a sat nav down the right side of the steering head.
You need is a plug from Nippy Normans and it has wires you can connect to a sat nav holder.

There's a switched power supply for a sat nav down the right side of the steering head.
You need is a plug from Nippy Normans and it has wires you can connect to a sat nav holder.

What he said !

It's usually taped up around the oil cooler pipes. The nippy normans bit just plugs in and then you have 2 wires to connect to simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok sounds good, think that's what I just found a link to in another thread. Thanks chaps.

Would you agree my accessory sockets are playing up or is this pretty typical?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haven't heard of it being a big problem, but canbus is a very strange thing...
You could trace back the wiring for the existing sockets and make sure that they're dry and properly connected.
An intermittent or high resistance short could give those kind of problems. Protecting from stuff like that is part of the job for canbus.

The Canbus accessory socket will take 5 amps max and will switch off if its getting close to that. What else do you have running from it? or is there an insulation fault somewhere?

Saying that - the Canbus system will stay on for about 30 seconds after the ignition has been turned off. Coincidence?

Maybe after getting it wet it's making a bad connection or drawing too much power? Canbus will cut it out if it thinks there's not enough power probably.

It does that with the grip warmers, if the battery is a bit on the low side it'll turn them off until it recharges.

My 2005 GS did this when I first bought it.

I bought nippy normans lead and it still turned off.

I got sick off it and made my own wiring loom with relay and fusebox which I can now put up to 8 different feeds.

sorry to butt in but have you any pictures of the above?as i cant seem to find them on my gs 2005??? thanx S

Andi Archer posted this.

2ff3621e6cf56806aeacebdd04aa6215.png

If you substitute a fuse box for the spot lights and used the Sat Nav connector to trigger the relay, you'll have a set of accessory outputs all triggered by the canbus/ignition but limited by their own fuses and power from the battery.

Items like power sockets can be driven direct from the battery with their own fuses.

You can run a low draw device such as the GPS by tapping into any ignition switch powered supply i.e. the front brake switch or the headlight but as has already been posted there is a dedicated supply near the headstock.You can get a twin wire plugged adaptor from Nippy Normans so its a straight fit or use posi taps.

c24758eef00ac56ead444473d648f29e.png

Early bikes needed a firmware update to prevent the power socket from cycling intermittently. Perhaps yours didn't get the update ?

Sounds like the water corroded a connection and is caused a high resistance short hence why it takes so long to trip out.Check the connectors on the rear of each socket,disconnect and coat each plug with some dialetric grease or vasaline if you cant get any it will help protect from water and corrosion.

You can run a low draw device such as the GPS by tapping into any ignition switch powered supply i.e. the front brake switch or the headlight but as has already been posted there is a dedicated supply near the headstock.You can get a twin wire plugged adaptor from Nippy Normans so its a straight fit or use posi taps.

c24758eef00ac56ead444473d648f29e.png

:jes:jes:jes:jes:jes:jes:jes:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom