Engine not running smoothy on light throttle pick-up

There is that!!!

I really could do without it right now. My commute mileage has rocketed recently. Thankfully a mate lent me his car for the cost of adding me to his insurance.

Motorworks came through. Fuel pump cheaper than eBlag and remanufactured Bosch starter only slightly more cost than a new yobbo brand starter.

How much was the Bosch??? the replacement Valeo i got was £160 all in £300+ oem

I thought you could get an uprated Bosch fuel pump cheap enough as a replacement for the VDO pump originally fitted, it was mentioned ages ago in the "sucking jet pump" thread when folk were prematurely running out of fuel due to a poor venturi effect through tired fuel pumps. An aftermarket pump seemed an economical solution at the time. I'll see if I can find the old thread....

EDIT: Here you go:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/286648-Erratic-fuel-gauge-2006-GSA/page6

You'd only end up wasting your money on booze and burds, thank goodness that bike's aren't like that !!!

Hopefully your mighty steed is soon thundering around that green and pleasant land.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I thought you could get an uprated fuel pump cheap enough, it was mentioned ages ago in the "sucking jet pump" thread when folk were prematurely running out of fuel due to a poor venturi effect through tired fuel pumps. An aftermarket pump seemed an economical solution at the time. I'll see if I can find the old thread....

I fitted a new pump motor but it was probably too cheap. Tested the motor directly from battery with no controller and nothing happens. I'd had some slight hesitance for about 10 miles before it burped and stopped. I now suspect that was the pump beginning to fail but at the time it wasn't enough to be concerned about. Will know better when I get it out.

The first thing I did was tip the bike sideways (no effect) but the fuel level was showing 85% which is above the level where the jet pump comes into play. I thought about opening the tank and looking for broken wires blah blah but a good used pump at £110 from Motorworks gets the job done without the fuss.

The starter motor was £170 plus £70 deposit for a remanufactured Bosch.

At that money its not worth pissing about, assuming you get a warranty on the used parts.

At that money its not worth pissing about, assuming you get a warranty on the used parts.

£350 was a shock to the bank account but £70 (less delivery costs) should be coming back. Last summer, when I looked at fuel pumps they were significantly more money which led me to try the cheap option.

For some time, the starter has been ok when cold but flaky when hot. Trying to get the hot bike going finally did for it. At least its not sitting their sulking to let me down another time.

The Power Commander is an engineered bodge (fully agree) but its done 20,000 at least with no problems. The stutter only began a week or two ago.

Now that it's stopped we will see if the fuel pump controller was the culprit. Going out now with some wire and pliers. This time I'll have phone call the breakdown recovery service.

So it has been OK for 20k miles but If the fuel pressure has recently dropped, normally the BMSK will adjust to this with the help of the lambda sensors.
As you are no longer using the lambda sensors the BMSK will not compensate. Hence my suggestion to add more fuel to the cells around 1000 to 2000rpm to see if it cures the problem. If you are using the option to populate each map to suit each gear just do it in the first gear map.

So it has been OK for 20k miles but If the fuel pressure has recently dropped, normally the BMSK will adjust to this with the help of the lambda sensors.
As you are no longer using the lambda sensors the BMSK will not compensate. Hence my suggestion to add more fuel to the cells around 1000 to 2000rpm to see if it cures the problem. If you are using the option to populate each map to suit each gear just do it in the first gear map.

Sorry - I see what you meant. It's a black art to me but will have to dig around the PC-V maps.

Ive not using the Lambdas because one got very badly sooted up by a faulty ignition coil. Long term I plan to put them back with a remap or AF-XiED. Budget has already been busted and I probably need to sort out the chattering gearbox (rattles in neutral).

Motorworks came though with parts delivered in 48 hours.

Testing the starter sounded slower than the old one. But with fuel pump connected the bike started instantly so it all looks fine.

I tested the old (new) fuel pump and it spun up fine. But when tested on Tuesday there was no noise from the fuel tank and no fuel flow with a test hose connected.

No chance to test the bike to see if the stuttering power pickup had improved.

Starter is definitely slower than the original but the engine started as normal.

Bike ran fine this morning no stuttering on gentle throttle so it looks like the old fuel pump really was the issue. I will get some new secondary coils for when the bad weather returns, but they dont seem to be affecting reliability.

It's always popped but suspect it's got worse. I believe thats a secondary coil symptom. They are the originals so likely to be past their best.

I had the same symptoms. Changed the secondary coils. All is smooth and creamy.

Borrow some new ones if you can. Give them a try.

The snatchy pickup off a closed throttle has improved but still there. New secondary coils are on the To Do list.

The new fuel pump is struggling to empty the tank right hand side. At motorway speed with side cases the gauge dropped to zero but the engine kept going. When I pulled into a service area to top up the tank the level gradually rose to 50% (height not volume).

Another job for the To Do list is a wired in switched controller bypass lead.

Back
Top Bottom