little end on its way out.....

aeronut7

Reaction score
so ive been told......by a bloke with a screwdriver to his ear......
also been told that on these engines its not that difficult to do.....
i would still get somebody else to do it for me tho.....
53,000 miles r1200gs 2005
ill probebly keep using it till winter comes and get it sorted then....if it lasts that long...

Too many working parts in the cylinder head to correctly diagnose that as the culprit surely.??

.....with all due respect to screwdriver man :rob

he listened for a while with the screwdriver...then again with engine in gear and under load by slipping the clutch...
i will be after a second opinion and even a third before deciding....

I'm no expert but as there is virtually no clearance between piston and valves at tdc, it may be easier to endoscope the piston top for witness marks.
Certainly if it's gone then I wouldn't be running that engine at all.

If correct diagnosis, then your costs will spiral the longer its run - potentially new piston, valves and head can/ will get damaged.

think ill pop into north oxford group on monday and have a chat...
just gonna say i hear a knock and see what they diagnose....

Maybe if they had needle rollers, but otherwise not likely..

Small end at 57,000, now that's unusual ?

i agree seeing as the bike has a full service record...any work done has been done at bmw...inspected every year...regular oil changes.
last full service and insp at 50,000 miles and now on 53,000.
the mechanic at hilltop made the diagnosis today but i would still like another opinion...

Small end at 57,000, now that's unusual ?

Unless the rod is bent due to previous hydraulic lock through fording.

Truimph daytona T595 engines could bend rods (leading to small end ticking and eventual failure)if dropped on LHS due to the crank breather flooding the airbox with sump oil.

Which little end is it? 1 would be unusual. 2 would point to something else going on to cause the problem. Most of my experience on engines was gained on cars of the 70s and before. Unless someone can tell you that it's the little end that's gone and that's what it needs and he knows exactly what he is talking about. On jobs like this it's too easy for the amount of work required can escalate very quickly. Yes the head and barrel can be removed quite easily and the little end examined. What if the conrod is damaged? I don't have the experience to guide you. There are a couple of people on here who would. JJH

Worse when Hot or Cold? Or the same all the time?

I wouldn;t go to a dealer to be truthful as "most" of the spanner jockeys won't know what to do with it Or understand it!

Mechanicing is a Dying Art! Nowadays they are "Technicians" i.e. code readers and part changers

Steptoe is an hour away why not make contact and organise a visit? http://gsshop.biz

N.B. Don't "tell" him what it is! Describe the symptoms, and sequence of events and let him look and listen! Stand Back and let the man work! Or you will likely be shown the door!

The man has important stuff to be showing us non Lahndonners! :rob:rob

according to the screwdriver man he heard it when bike was cold....as i rode it into the workshop
he said that he couldnt hear it when hot...but could again via his screwdriver..
i have a local bike mechanic which is supposed to be old school....will pop in too see him on monday...
then maybe arrange to go see steptoe or mikeyboy

Just a wild assed guess but could it be the cam chain tensioner on that side??

Don't forget the gearbox input end will be rattling at this sort of mileage. Mine sounds like loose cam chain when the clutch is out in neutral. Absolutely, it's not anywhere near the cylinders but it sounds just like a cam chain. In short - these engines can rattle in all sorts of ways.

I had a car engine develop a strange rattle. Eventually dropped the sump pan and found bits of piston skirt. The No4 piston had cracked around its oil control ring, leaving a flapping fragment that clicked at top and bottom of the stroke.

If you do have serious suspicions - at least it's easy enough** to pull a cylinder and take a closer look.

**Compared to most bikes and cars.

On car engines a rattle with a trailing or semi trailing throttle when you would be slowing down say for a lower speed limit would result in a very light rattle that was recond to be the little ends. I only ever heard it once. Old rwd Mazda 323. Why dose one remember such stuff? I doubt you would hear it on a bike. JJH

I believe a worn small end clicks at top and bottom of stroke - 2x engine revs. Big ends rattle badly at low revs but go quiet when its revved.

second opinion today...ive known this mechanic a good few years
he said...a little bit tappety.....clutch bearing makes a slight noise..
but thats it...didnt think little/big ends were a problem...
so thats it for now.......stop worrying and bloody ride it.....

Back
Top Bottom