Midgey update??

Paul Wild

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm riding up Monday and will be travelling all the way up the west coast taking in Arran, Mull, Skye and then up to Durness, please can anybody give me an update on the midgey situations??, will I be eaten alive or is it safe to venture North?

Paul

Oh dear ...... Pissed down all month then 24* degrees. Good Luck. We used and I still do ( now hear me out ) Avon - "Skin So Soft" spray. I've been around and the only time I have been bit properly was on the arse in Strathcarron, probably not the first and not the last.

Not bothering me tonight in the east, but informed opinion is that it will be a bumper year! At least 3 hatches:eek:

I tried Avon Skin So Soft.

Greasy and ineffective for me.

Jungle Formula Deet and lots of it

Deffo eaten alive.

Me two weeks ago. After camping near a small river near Kilmarnock. Never bothered me last year at same place.

3a1740e12893b312301bcc625e31d134.png

Last photo does it for me, Many thanks for all the info, looks like it's a trip see my daughter in Poole Dorset instead, it,

Paul

Deffo eaten alive.

Me two weeks ago. After camping near a small river near Kilmarnock. Never bothered me last year at same place.

3a1740e12893b312301bcc625e31d134.png

And they are still a bit bumpy and itchy. Think my leg modelling days are over.

We had a smokey fire going and everything. But these little vampires were swarming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, smidge works. As does finding a spot with a breeze to camp, forget the great looking wee sheltered spots by the river - only use them from mid september to mid may.
Beaches normally fine to walk on, pubs to go into, beer to drink. You can still have a great trip, just need to be aware

Skin so Soft is no longer ...........

a deterrent, AVON changed the formula about 4/5 years ago, they did not want SoS to be known as an insect repellent. Older stocks still work.
Use SMIDGE, its a round £7 a pop but could save your modelling career as well as your sanity :comfort

M

Just got back from a holiday in Greece where mosquitoes were a problem. Greek air hostess recommended smoothing lemon shower gel on exposed skin before you go out. She swore by it, yet to try it myself.

This is why I avoid Scotland in summer. We always go 1st week may and last week in September.😎

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I tried Avon Skin So Soft.

Greasy and ineffective for me.

Jungle Formula Deet and lots of it

+1 Just got back from a week in Kefalonia, at fifteen bites on arms and legs despite using the avon stuff. They should stick to making tyres :D

Drumclog moto park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smidge and 1 a day antihistamine

Start taking the antihistamine before you go

Back
Top Bottom