Someone has tried to break the steering lock on my 2005 R1200GS.

gary-postman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
As per title.
Due to the above - when trying to start the bike the key won't turn. How do I get to the steering lock as it may have been bent or damaged another part causing the problem. I will be contacting the insurance broker to report the attempted theft and get the name of an approved repairer. I'm insured via Carole Nash.
Any assistance in the mean time would help.
Thanks
Gary

even if its a no fault claim, dont be surprised if your insurance goes up significantly at next, and subsequent, renewals. I would be tempted not to go thru insurance given the age of the bike, and do the repar myself/locally.

Yeah... I wouldn't advise not using the steering lock. It's the first line of defense... sure, they can break it but if the next one doesn't have it, the'll go for that one.

Plus, it also makes the bike a bit safer from the classic "let me take a photo with the bike real quick" kind of situation.

I'll never not use the lock even with the bike alarmed and all chained up. Don't feel safe with the steering freely moving even if I'm right next to the bike for some reason.

Steering Lock ?

For what it's worth.
One of our guys at work had his Ducati Panigale nicked from our car park at work.
He'd owned it a week !
It's all on the CCTV.
The lowlife walks in & seems to snap the steering lock just by rattling the bars by hand.
Then rolls it away.
If he'd had a lock & chain enabled somehow the noise or extra time spent may have raised an alarm.
The tracker was disabled within 30 mins.
Lock 'em to something chaps.

Steering locks don't stop the thieves and cost a lot to repair so what is the point of them? Maybe while you pop into a shop for a paper, but nothing more than that.

A steering lock will delay the average scumbag thief less than 10 seconds at the most, so is not very effective at all in preventing theft.

On the otherr hand if your bike is stolen and the insurance co. finds out later that the steering lock wasn't used at the time of the theft (no sign of forced access) then they can, and have, refuse to pay out.

So the moral of the story is: use the steering lock but don't expect it to have any effect at all.

I can see how they *might* use the steering lock as a lever to not pay out but if the bike is secured with a half decent chain they *shouldn't* be able to wriggle too much.

I will have to ask my insurer about that one.

Steering locks don't stop the thieves and cost a lot to repair so what is the point of them? Maybe while you pop into a shop for a paper, but nothing more than that.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Use a pocket disc lock for short stops and a U-lock/chain for longer stops.

Andres

Update attempted theft of 1200 GS

HI
I have the bike at home now and the damage done is to the steering bolt and whereit locks into the frame. The bolt/pin has been retracted and appears to be working as it should.
The only real damage is that the plug that connects to the ignition switch has been pulled off where they tried to hot wire the bike. I am in need of a replacement plug, do any of you know where I can get one, if so would you let me know. I've checked with the local dealer and the BMW price is for a complete loom at £980 and £340 fitting.
Cheers
Gary

HI
I have the bike at home now and the damage done is to the steering bolt and whereit locks into the frame. The bolt/pin has been retracted and appears to be working as it should.
The only real damage is that the plug that connects to the ignition switch has been pulled off where they tried to hot wire the bike. I am in need of a replacement plug, do any of you know where I can get one, if so would you let me know. I've checked with the local dealer and the BMW price is for a complete loom at £980 and £340 fitting.
Cheers
Gary

HOW MUCH you should report them to the police as well, Dick Turpin wouldn't get a look in these days.

I can see how they *might* use the steering lock as a lever to not pay out but if the bike is secured with a half decent chain they *shouldn't* be able to wriggle too much........

I recently renewed my insurance and when they read the terms and conditions over the phone to me they made it very clear that if the steering lock was not used and the bike was stolen / recovered the policy would be invalidated and they would not be paying out.......

Also, the OP made a big mistake in reporting the attempt to steal to his insurance co. as he will no doubt find out when he gets his renewal notice, whether he makes a claim or not.

Apart from anything else, his excess will probably cover the cost of repair (unless he goes to a BMW main dealer).

I recently renewed my insurance and when they read the terms and conditions over the phone to me they made it very clear that if the steering lock was not used and the bike was stolen / recovered the policy would be invalidated and they would not be paying out.......

Had the same with my insurance renewal, my thought is that it's just another excuse for them not to pay out, steering locks are, and always have been useless and so easy to break.

Had the same with my insurance renewal, my thought is that it's just another excuse for them not to pay out, steering locks are, and always have been useless and so easy to break.

A long blunt chisel and big hammer should do the job. You can now "lock" the steering and know that the sprites don't need to smash your lock as they bend the (now already bent) locking bracket.

My car had a slot cut into the middle of the steering column which was bent by the scrote who tried to steal it. I straightened the column and filled the slot with epoxy. I also fitted better door locks with anti drill plates behind (equivalent to carrying a padlock & chain on the bike).

Update -
Having looked at the damage to the wiring loom. I contacted Sherlock's to check if they had the plug required to repair damaged part. They confirmed that the loom was one piece and as they were unable to help me find a plug. The guy I spoke to did say he would look at what they had and get back to me. He called back and said they had a loom that had been cut/damaged. and for £16.00 he would send me the plug with a length of loom. On arrival I soldered the part on and the bike is now working as before.
My thanks goes to Sherlock's for their help.
Gary

Back
Top Bottom