R100GS BMW Pannier Waterproofing

B Murr

Reaction score
I have a set of Tesch panniers for the camping type trips but was thinking of retaining the lightweight BMW cases for simpler/short distance stuff. Only thing is that they are not waterproof as was evident when I briefly submerged them in a pool this afternoon, the seals will need replacing as I'm sure they are now hard as 25 years old. I believe they were never very waterproof from new so wonder is it a waste of time fitting new seals and do people tend to use a waterproof inner bag with these panniers?

I probably wouldnt bother renewing the seals (unless they are really bad) so go with a waterproof inner of some sort. I would, however, invest in a set of straps to retain the BMW cases to your motorcycle as they are legendry for being able to spontaneously detach with the attendant mayhem that entails...........

Always used Exped waterproof fold dry backs, have around 10 of them, stick off the bike clothing gear in 2 bags, trainers, first aid stuff etc. in another all labelled up so you pull out what you want when p***ing down and also not carrying in loads of gear when camping etc.

http://www.exped.com/international/en/product-category/packsacks

Sounds like a good plan, found LOMO bags seem good value http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html , I've used one of them as a snorkelling float/bag and know that worked well.

Hi Bill,
We got a pair of Exped bags in our local camping shop and they worked great on our very wet trip around Scotland last year.
They are great for carrying clothes as you could compress and seal them thereby making great use of the space (a sort of diy vacuum packing).
/F

Do ye guys use heavy duty or lightweight bags, seems to be two types, chafing in panniers would be enemy No.1 for the lightweight ones I guess but most of them will have soft contents so might be OK?

The lightweight ones in our case Bill and they seem to be holding up well so far, having said that we've only about three weeks usage up on them so far.
/F

cannot vouch for ultralight, have the classic I think they call it, had my bags 20 years now, no rips or tears and stored pen knifes, torches, cooking stuff etc and still look as good today.

I use them when I go on family holidays, like someone has suggested they are like vacuum bags, roll up tight and no creases. in my opinion one of the great bits of camping equipment I have bought and never had the need to replace, just spent a couple of years buying a couple then a few more etc, until I had the number I wanted.

Hi Bill,

From my experience, I have used the older style Krauser panniers on my R100 and they have never left in water. Ever.
However, I doubt they would stand up to submerging them in a pool ! Under normal use, your BMW panniers may well be
fit for purpose with seals. If they are not expensive then I'd be inclined to try. I still use inner bags to contain the contents
though.
On my GS (same as yours !), I use Ortlieb bicycle panniers - lightweight, 100% waterproof and inexpensive. They also fit
the original racks perfectly:

YdJ9sBHivEqFgYxEL2g17qfxoRcy-56Z59jL4P4dGpr7hBPoaE0bv3mzpVLEFSLhs4CEcTfGLxQSNPLxmbJ0EA2icWW8TGlvPr2hpRPgHh9lr9Q3SGm0hcNx0GAubgJCk5yn-cE9hnRh5iXHSJpQsoPcmLS6NZWdTX7GxIK4c-8GO3bCGQrwQWaqHMeOv4xrJyab6sYa7r7CeC-LvVhmv_5gSClKEtZrTVDe_MjhyiMwiC6ppj_t244MAE6FlAh9-klHpvbf1Tz2UliREtOneZPLY45efBl-mPGBJmo5OiszX6Vf9unNmKp0mt839rBjcu3ePc4JeR0-HaEzWz_s1j3IB_X_KeEaBmzJYVuqQitdKpJLmaSM590ozoLhzwEqbI_dVxFplcfl5uT7B2aklRxsWKzKjTtBmTcxudr3ltBNJkMG4UpdZAXUNaL6MCys5_iz_XVlF_LdS0qRkbe6o4mzKgnIBv2KPfq8LJ8HfxnaiJJ8vGTtkfXjAHeIFdSqMxzwWPs3KJ_1PouJ3laDdYRlduOV_34AFa4AMw69VX3qvx1wc16s0t1awnynQgyATUuM6xjap4TWsP1AAvi-GwAd1TR89aSdDBY77_oYswTlMBUz4Q__aRawA4QoMmg_ydpNZIqBOWbiDuY4YHakz5Lrj4J-0kXRVkVDNvZMng=w1369-h770-no

Cheers for all the above answers guys :thumb2. A bunch or dry bags ordered from Lomo, and two blue sealing strips ( part number 46542300016) for the panniers from local BMW dealer. That should keep the essesntials dry :D

Back
Top Bottom