North Yorkshire Bikesafe Review

MartinS

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I havent posted here in what seems like ages. Because it is. After buying my GS, my wife and I found out we were expecting a baby, so all the mileage I've been doing has been on foot, backwards and forwards between the nursery and kitchen to refill bottles of milk. Back in the saddle good and proper this year though, so onwards and upwards.

Anyway, I did Bikesafe today in North Yorkshire. I thought I'd post a review in the hope it might encourage other people to do it.

The day started at 9am with a meetup at Selby Fire Station. Mixed, diverse group. A lady in her late 40's who passed her test in March all the way through to a chap who passed his test in 1976 and wanted a refresher. The rest of us were in the middle of that somewhere. After introductions, Martin, my namesake and traffic officer from North Yorkshire Police, started our classroom instruction.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone but it focused on roadcraft, as you'd expect, using both video and computer visualisations of real accidents which we were invited to comment on and discuss. Various riding techniques/situations were also discussed and overall it was very well presented. We were actively encouraged to participate in discussion rather than being lectured to. The presentation style was informal and I think everyone felt comfortable enough to ask questions and query things.

I definitely took a lot from the classroom section of the course, particularly the accident analysis sections/discussion. It raised some points which I'd never really thought of before and also reminded me of some things I'd been taught, but forgotten about.

After lunch at 12 (take your own packed lunch), we paired up and went out for our assessed ride. Each person was assessed for roughly 1.5 hours. It was tough as the temperature was around 30c. Made it hard to concentrate but it certainly beat pouring rain. Half way around, we stopped for refreshments

After the assessments were complete we all met up at services for a cold drink (of pop..) in the shade and a nice chat. The ride itself was fantastic, taking in some brilliant roads, as you'd expect in North Yorks.

All in all, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better use for £20 when it comes to motorcycling. Unless you're already an advanced police rider, you're virtually guaranteed to learn something from doing the course. The fact that it's presented in such a casual but informative way, only makes it better. The police offices, far from being intimidating, were the complete opposite, amiable and welcoming. I think I can safely say we all felt completely at ease for the entire day.

Think I'll be doing it again in a few months once I've had chance to put some more miles in.

I'm certain you wouldn't be disappointed gents. I went out on the bike tonight and my confidence has really improved an awful lot, just since yesterday. I've been riding on and off since 1997 but to be assessed by someone you know has been tested at the highest level and be told you don't really have any significant faults with your riding. It makes a difference. Looser on the bike means it responds better to input and things like bumpy road surfaces are just absorbed without even thinking about it. Everything is smoother, the inputs gel better. It's hard to explain. It doesn't make me want to ride like a man possessed, but making progress whilst feeling safe is what it's given me and I don't think I'm alone.

It's shown me just how much of riding is psychological.

I've decided to pursue further qualifications as a result of it with a view to becoming an instructor. It made such a difference to my riding and also to me personally, I can't help but want to do that for others.

I passed my test in 1976 too. I have ridden year round since, my bike is an enjoyable, efficient means of transport for me rather than a toy.
I have done one, or two Bikesafe courses each year for the last 6 or 7 years, interspersing with the alternative 'First Bike on Scene' incident management and First Aid course - EVERY SINGLE TIME I COME AWAY WITH SOMETHING NEW OR REINFORCED, OR SOMETHING PULLED UP ON!

I do mine with Paul Cheshire in N. Wales but have been looking at other areas to get a different perspective and see some new faces and new roads. Anyone poopooing it as for beginners only - THINK AGAIN.

Nice review and I shall see where Selby is and get myself organised to be on one of their courses - maybe there is some good fishing nearby I can make a secondary use out of the trip with. :thumby:

I can assure you there is a LOT of good fishing around these parts.

Matter of fact, I did take particular note of your post but sadly, I sold all my lures a few years ago, leaving only my micro collection, although I did keep my actual lure rods since I'd lugged them all the way from the USA.

I'd definitely be up for a fishing tour at some point, just as an aside.

I can assure you there is a LOT of good fishing around these parts.

Matter of fact, I did take particular note of your post but sadly, I sold all my lures a few years ago, leaving only my micro collection, although I did keep my actual lure rods since I'd lugged them all the way from the USA.

I'd definitely be up for a fishing tour at some point, just as an aside.

You're on! Saltwater too.

Back
Top Bottom