Lock Problem - Top Box

Barge

Reaction score
Lock Problems

I bought a 2010 1200GS Adventure with BMW (Touratech) panniers, unseen. When it was delivered the top box had been removed with the rack attached. I soon discovered the reason for this was due to the lock not working that locks the top box to the rack. The key only goes halfway into the lock.

I know a little about locks, and I understand that this is a wafer lock, so I would have imagined that one of the following actions should sort out the lock to at least get it open: -

- Soak the lock in WD40
- Turnthe top box through 360 degrees, trying the key in the lock every 90 degrees
- Jiggle a piece of metal, thinner than the key, in the lock to push the wafers back

None of these attempts worked so I assume that a wafer is jammed, perhaps by a broken spring?

The lock and holder mechanism is held onto the top box by 4 bolts and nyloc nuts. I have managed to removed the 2 easiest bolts and the spacer, and with the play that this gave along with the natural flex of the top box material, managed to separate the rack and the top box. Sadly there is not enough space for me to get a grip on the remaining nyloc nuts. Can I assume that the only way that I am going to get the lock and it's holding mechanism off is to drill the bolts out from the inside of the top box?

Thanks

Andy

Have you got any pictures to help with suggestions

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not at the moment, but I could take some. There's not a lot to see. When I use a magnifying glass and torch I still can't see anything worthwhile inside the lock.

Thanks

Andy

I was going to suggest i pop round and have a look however i mistook shetland for sheffield !!🤤

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I´ll just quote myself from a recent thread: "Liberally apply lock cleaner and then lock oil. Dont use anything other than lock oil in locks. You want an oil that is thin and doesnt dry. Pouring powder of any kind in a lock is asking for trouble. Graphite will work for a while but sooner or later it will gunk up. "

No WD40 or anything like it should ever go into a lock.

The pannier lock are not very high tech and one of the wafers might have gotten stuck or damaged, so you may just have to force the key in, not that that might not cause other problems ;)

Don't force a key but try to separate the wafers with a wire and plenty of WD40 initially to get things moving.

Lock Problems

I bought a 2010 1200GS Adventure with BMW (Touratech) panniers, unseen. When it was delivered the top box had been removed with the rack attached. I soon discovered the reason for this was due to the lock not working that locks the top box to the rack. The key only goes halfway into the lock

As the lock is knackered just drill the lock assembly out and fit a new lock ..... Job done :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom