Brakes sticking

kwallace21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just popped new pads in the rear the other night. Took the bike out for a spin. Rear wheel spinning reasonably freely. It's been sitting for a week and the wheel is sticking a bit. It still goes round a full turn when I spin it but definitely not as free as before. Off to Germany this afternoon so sod all I can do I suppose. If I recall it would always rub a bit after its been lying.
Hopefully a bit of use will bed the pads in and free it up. Calipers had a good clean before going back on.
Sods law eh?

Did you free up the slides and clean the pistons?

Did the pistons slide back freely? or did you have to use a G clamp or plyers?

If you had to use a G cramp then they have salt behind the outer wiper ring and its pushing the seal hard against the piston and not letting it return properly

Well assuming the rear brake was working as normal before you changed the pads try holding the subframe and with your foot press the rear caliper as hard as you can.
This should spread the caliper and retract the pads and show that the caliper sliding pins are free.
Then pump the rear brake until the brake is back to normal.
Do this a few times and any it should be back to normal.

Well assuming the rear brake was working as normal before you changed the pads try holding the subframe and with your foot press the rear caliper as hard as you can.
This should spread the caliper and retract the pads and show that the caliper sliding pins are free.
Then pump the rear brake until the brake is back to normal.
Do this a few times and any it should be back to normal.

Splendid advice Neil. Yep, all worked smooth before so did what you said and after a few miles all is spinning well and tickety boo.
Many thanks
K

Back
Top Bottom