Putting the outfit back on the road

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's taken me a long time due to a combination of waiting on parts and searching for enthusiasm but the rebuilt rear wheel for my outfit arrives tomorrow so all I need to do is order a new rear sprocket, fit the wheel then get it through an mot test. The downside is that I've now got no excuses not to use it :D

I'll take some pictures when it's legal again then take bookings from anyone stupid enough to want to go for a blat along a couple of green lanes on an outfit :eek:

It's basically a road legal off road style chair fitted to a heavily modified 2009 Yam Tenere.

In other words it's something that most people would want about as much as a ginger stepchild but it's what I wanted so I'm happy with it until something else takes my fancy.

To describe the handling as 'flighty' is being nice to it but even though a set of leading links would calm it down for road use I'm not sure they'd be a good idea off road so I'm leaving it with WP forks and a lot of travel.

It's basically a road legal off road style chair fitted to a heavily modified 2009 Yam Tenere.

In other words it's something that most people would want about as much as a ginger stepchild but it's what I wanted so I'm happy with it until something else takes my fancy.

To describe the handling as 'flighty' is being nice to it but even though a set of leading links would calm it down for road use I'm not sure they'd be a good idea off road so I'm leaving it with WP forks and a lot of travel.

Flighty? I'll bet!!! :D Bet it's a hoot to ride though.

FWIW I'm not a fan of leading links on outfits (with the exception, maybe just, of big heavy touring outfits) so I'm with you on keeping the teles :thumb2

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Andres

It's going to take a couple of free weekends to get back to being legal but then it's game on and I'll take a few photos of it in its natural habitat.

Free weekends are the issue.

Need pics. :thumb2

If it's as lightweight a chair as I imagine,it will be flighty regardless of what types of forks it has.
Toe in and lean out adjustments may help,along with how much lead the chair has but a lightweight sidecar will always be flighty and lively.

Leading links won't cause or help in that respect other than keeping the set up fairly constant due to not diving under braking or heavy suspension compression.
My first Ural used to get its knickers in a twist due to fork dive altering the effective rake or trail......cured by fitting leading links.
Most 'serious' off road outfits have leading links,don't they?

Pics.....pics...:green gri

Be calm. I'm not home until Friday late afternoon then my plan is to go and buy a new rear sprocket and bung the wheel in. Once that's done it'll be time for an mot test and away we go.

I've almost certainly got some old photos on my phone that can be posted using Tapatalk.....

Here's a pic of it massively overloaded on the ferry from Helsingborg. It wouldn't normally have the panniers fitted because there's a lot of storage under the seat in the chair plus there's a false floor which nicely accommodates multiple packs of beer.
36d0d4a7e38d305a41e5a49e1be4c313.jpg

And here's why it needed a new back wheel
4f727595cc2b0a6c4fcfd40c02106145.jpg

I was doing about 80mph when the hub fell apart and the whole outfit tried to do a rapid right hand pirouette after the wheel locked solid.

Gawd.....and gawd again.....could have had a nasty ending. :eek:

Regarding the flightiness.....the chair doesn't look like a flyweight one but from the first photo it doesn't look like it has very much sidecar wheel lead.
The 2wd Urals have very small lead due to the angle of the sidecar driveshaft needing to not be too extreme.....they almost snake in a straight line and feel like you're riding on marbles.

What is your lead measurement?

I've no idea what the lead is, I'm away from home so can't check it out. It steers off the throttle so if I roll off it just starts to pull right and if I accelerate it obviously wants to go left at first but it steers well and doesn't need fighting on a 'neutral' throttle where it's under power but not accelerating. I've got a rotary steering damper fitted which calms things down a bit and I know that the best way to calm it down completely would be to change to tyres more suited for a sidecar which isn't that easy with a 21" front wheel :blast

When I describe it as lightweight that's compared against my last outfit which had a huge Watsonian chair on it and was like a battleship when fitted to an 8 valve K100 :D

I'm seriously considering getting Talon to lace an 18" rim to the front hub then play with the geometry of the whole outfit so I can put square profile tyres on it for winter touring on roads but it was built for winter touring in places where solos are a very bad idea so where I score one way I lose in another.

How did I miss this thread. Cool outfit.

Did Rod Young have involvement with this it looks similar to one that appeared on the fed side car club's FB page.

I fitted Wasp forks to an xt 600 long distance trials outfit.

They brought about a huge transformation in the handling.

You would not regret spending the cash.

I fitted Wasp forks to an xt 600 long distance trials outfit.

They brought about a huge transformation in the handling.

You would not regret spending the cash.

I've been giving serious consideration to taking off the WP forks and fitting leading links with an 18" front wheel that would take a square profile front tyre. The cash I'd get for the WP forks would just about cover the cost of leading links then I'd cut off the 21" rim and lace an 18" one on instead.

I've not touched it since getting the wheel back because I've been stupidly busy and I've come to the conclusion that I need to move things around in the garage then spend a couple of weeks getting things sorted out and use the thing.

Back
Top Bottom