new member after advice

Keith GS1200

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post on this site ,
my name is Keith i am a retired engineer ,i have never been without a motorcycle since i was 17 and had ratty field bikes before that ,i now have a BMW r1200gs exclusive and a Yam FZR 1000 exup ru 1991, hobbies include anything mechanical, following bike racing at tracks or on tv, touring and camping or tinkering with stuff in the garage
Dislikes........ computers , so please be patient ,slightly dyslexic so spellcheck is my friend

here is my question, i want to fit front / rear cameras to my 2017 gs ,i want them hard wired and auto record when ignition on and stop when ignition off i dont want to use the aux power socket as switched live..... on other BMW there is a cambus plug by the battery which allows you a switched live for accsessory , the laeds for them are available to fit sat navs, does anybody know if my 2017 gs has acambus plug or the best way of getting a switched live
many thanks
Keith

my name is Keith i am a retired engineer ,i have never been without a motorcycle since i was 17 and had ratty field bikes before that ,i now have a BMW r1200gs exclusive and a Yam FZR 1000 exup ru 1991, hobbies include anything mechanical, following bike racing at tracks or on tv, touring and camping or tinkering with stuff in the garage
Dislikes........ computers , so please be patient ,slightly dyslexic so spellcheck is my friend

here is my question, i want to fit front / rear cameras to my 2017 gs ,i want them hard wired and auto record when ignition on and stop when ignition off i dont want to use the aux power socket as switched live..... on other BMW there is a cambus plug by the battery which allows you a switched live for accsessory , the laeds for them are available to fit sat navs, does anybody know if my 2017 gs has acambus plug or the best way of getting a switched live
many thanks
Keith

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum. There should be a canbus link under the passenger seat. Depending on budget etc there are several ways of doing this. The hot topic is on the HEX EZcan, www.hexezcan.com, that you can buy from USA which links directly to the canbus and provides a safe power source plus programmable modes.

There is a thread already going on cameras.. see below. worth a read. :beerjug:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...I-and-Garmin-Virb-XE-Camera?highlight=warlord

Many thanks Flaming T, are you talking about the two wire plug by the accessory sticker under rear seat, if i was to use this as a switched live do i just undo plug and plug in accessory lead or do i need to do anything with other end of plug
cheers for yourquick response
Keith

Many thanks Flaming T, are you talking about the two wire plug by the accessory sticker under rear seat, if i was to use this as a switched live do i just undo plug and plug in accessory lead or do i need to do anything with other end of plug
cheers for yourquick response
Keith

its a plug and play system.... see YT clip below from their web site.. :beerjug:

https://youtu.be/G1D2mPSoJOs

Thanks again for your help , the Hex ez cam is over complected for my needs i just want one switched live as im not going to put extra lights ect on .
I do appreciate you taking time to answer my post
Cheers
Keith

Thanks again for your help , the Hex ez cam is over complected for my needs i just want one switched live as im not going to put extra lights ect on .
I do appreciate you taking time to answer my post
Cheers
Keith

OK, no worries. In that case, I believe there is a live switch wire under the front seat... again, see below YT video of someone taking the feed for a fusebox. Hope this helps. :beerjug:

https://youtu.be/CTpsccTIW6Y?list=PL3waltVNQ5-qDpomqwxUqUfwVzwo1Ev8T

Many thaks , i couldn't locate red switch wire under seat. i found a lead form nippy normans that plugs into canbus conector, which is meant to supply switched power to a sat nav , this lead has 3 wires one is the pulse wire which is not needed the other 2 are +ve and -ve ,they can go straight to the control box of camaers , hopefully that should sort things . i am going to chester bmw tomorrow , i will ask if this makes scense , i will also ask about red wire under seat.
i will let you know , it may help others
cheers
Keith

many thanks
Keith

Hi

I used a feed from the rear light to power a relay coil and took the feed to the relay switch from the battery. My 2014 GS rear light went off a couple of seconds after switching off the ignition so worked very well. The relay was fairly small so The CAN bus didn't get spooked by the small coil drain.

Hi Steve i have done similar on other bikes for heated grips etc, this is my first can
bus enabled bike and im still learning about it , ididnt realise i could attach relays without upsetting it
many thanks
Keith

Hi just got back fro chester motorrad there response was some what predictable ......if it isnt BMW dont fit it, but saying that the guy knows of many bikes with many non BMW extras fitted. he also reminded me that a non BMW extra may cause damage and affect warranty .toeing the corporate line. on my head be it..I will continue this after i come back from my annual tour of the Highlands and islands
Thanks again
Keith

Back
Top Bottom