Routing Issues

lebowski

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this question for months.....

Having owned my 660 for a few years now I've occasionally noticed that when I enter an address or head for 'home' I don't always get the quickest route. This was highlighted last Monday on the way back from Barcelona. We had reached Toulouse and decided not to take the suggested route but to go back on the A roads. The 660 recalculated and knocked off 30 minutes on our arrival time!

This isn't the first time this has happened, we often take a different route from that suggested and the arrival time reduces....

My route preference is for faster time, avoidances are enabled (car share, unpaved, seasonal closures) and recalculation mode is set to auto.

What am I doing wrong?

Jon

:)

I would suggest that you may have to many unnecessary avoidances.

Thanks for replying

How would that make a difference?

Both routes I could've taken that day wouldn't have involved any of those avoidances.

Surely that would mean that the route I did take involved those things then?

Or are we talking 'Computer Geek Logic' here.....?

I have no Idea why it would make a difference, something to do with the algorithms the units use to calculate a route?

As much as I like my Garmin satnavs, logic doesn't come into it, I rarely let mine calculate routes, prefering to create my own with Mapsource.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

I'd plotted a route out to Barcelona on the the way out but as we needed to get back fairly quickly, I trusted the satnav to take us back the quickest route on the MWay....

Thanks again for your help

If you want to customise the garmin route to destination ,just add via points,
I changed from the 660 to nav 5 and use the trip planner frequently,,
it is an often overlooked feature and versatile,
Roamer

Back
Top Bottom