Any tips for getting this bit off?

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Input shaft clutch end bearing inner seems stuck fast to the shaft. I'm a bit wary of applying any more force to it just at the moment, and thought I'd ask here before I break something :)

Attachments

• Input shaft bearing.jpg
    Input shaft bearing.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 380
Hydraulic press. There must be a local garage engineering workshop that'll happily do it for you for little or nothing.

Run a line of weld around it, will heat up enough to fall off hopefully

Cutting disc, hammer and chisel...same as a steering stem bearing :green gri

I actually considered that, but I'm inclined to think that will shrink it on even more.

Correct!

Skinny Cutting disc at an angle across the face and around it and split it "On a Block of wood" rather than steel or concrete!

I don;t know how the F*** they get so tight but they do and they go bang and bits fall off I now Cut them

I think I hve one removed and I can at least show you the shaft :green gri

20tonne press on the bottom. They are tight don't pull it on the top ring it will shatter.

Measure it , sometimes they are not worn much and it just isn't worth the hassle changing them.
Best done before you have bought the expensive bearing / sleeve and pulled the rest of the shaft apart, off course ------------.

I have a thick steel plate with a hole bored in it that matches perfectly. sit it on a hydraulic press and it comes off easily with gentle pressure.

Correct!

Skinny Cutting disc at an angle across the face and around it and split it "On a Block of wood" rather than steel or concrete!

I don;t know how the F*** they get so tight but they do and they go bang and bits fall off I now Cut them

I think I hve one removed and I can at least show you the shaft :green gri
Lambretta crankshaft flywheel side bearings are a similar set up. The diagonal cut ( I use a Dremel) and a cold chisel to finish it off works for me every time. I put a Jubilee clip over any part I don't want to risk damaging. In the time it's taken me to type this it would have been off!
Paul.

Measure it , sometimes they are not worn much and it just isn't worth the hassle changing them.
Best done before you have bought the expensive bearing / sleeve and pulled the rest of the shaft apart, off course ------------.

not shown the worst side in my photo. but it has some nasty wear marks.

I have a thick steel plate with a hole bored in it that matches perfectly. sit it on a hydraulic press and it comes off easily with gentle pressure.

Yup - That's what I do too (I have a box of 'special' tools I have made over the years). It doesn't require enormous force, the dial on the 30-ton press hardly twitches :thumb.

Bob.

Not having a 30-ton press to hand, I went with Solidstate100's more rustic approach :)

IMG_6542-L.jpg

I have nothing to compare it to, but I'll have a closer look at it later.

Back
Top Bottom