ny opinions on powerglides in Kent?

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a gearbox issue that needs sorting out and was going to use powerglides, however noticed a couple of negative reviews on the internet so thought I'd ask :thumb2

No idea about Powerglides, but pm Steptoe as he has a mate who runs a HD shop in that there London and comes highly recommended.

What's the issue? I too have heard poor things about Powerglide and got fuck all response from them(him) when I enquirer about some machine work.

the threads on my gearbox that hold the exhaust bracket are knackered. Both have pulled out. I took it to Cycle Enterprises last week and had two timeserts fitted, unfortunatly they used bolts that were too short to secure the bracket and both timeserts snapped off.

I'm expecting to have to get the box ally welded and re drill the holes

Remains of time serts

D9BEEB16-0CEF-4E56-AEFB-757C1A6A292F_zpsnhwpanbd.jpg

982A7383-861C-49A0-A352-1604DFAF3E35_zpsv3jz68or.jpg

The problem is that long exhaust puts a lot of strain on a couple of 5/16 unc bolts

6106E641-9622-4249-BD40-047CBF947733_zpscsstvyig.jpg

Is there room at the back of the gearbox lug to get a nut on it Rob?

Thats what I've done Dave. Its the bottom mount thats a major issue. once its loose the whole lot bounces about making things much worse very quickly.

I can see where the top one fits. Does the lower stud screw into the same cover? If so, a new cover is £175. An option?

it doesn't unfortunately. The lower mount uses one of the main gearbox bolts that passes through the outer cover.

Thats what I've done Dave. Its the bottom mount thats a major issue. once its loose the whole lot bounces about making things much worse very quickly.

It's not a proper Harley if things don't fall off in everyday use.

I have used Powerglides. Communication not his strong point I have to say. Nice fella though and hugely knowledgable about all things Harley. If you can get to speak to him (not easy) he is happy to yak for ages. A businessman he is not though. Would I leave parts with him? No because it would drive me fucking potty if I couldn't get in touch.

Back
Top Bottom