Clutch drag

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I've figured out why my gear change is so clunky.
Bike on centre stand, start up and into 1st gear then pull the clutch in and the rear wheel is still merrily turning away, takes a bit of force to stop it too.
In for a service on Saturday, they might be taking longer than they imagine. Still a year warranty left.

Just back off a trip to the Dolomites with a mate who's got the same issue. I haven't read up on it but he says it's a common problem. Do we know what causes it ?

Just back off a trip to the Dolomites with a mate who's got the same issue. I haven't read up on it but he says it's a common problem. Do we know what causes it ?

Not fitting a Quickshifter?

Wet clutch, hydraulic drag =movement of transmission shafts = rear wheel turning if off the ground.

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bike that didn’t spin the rear wheel a bit when on the centre stand and put into gear with the clutch in.

So, serviced and new clutch fitted under warranty on Saturday.
Made no difference at all.
N>1 clunk
1>2 clunk
2>3 clunk most of the time
3>4 not too bad
4>5 snicks into gear effortlessly
5>6 the same.

Tried an adjustable gear shift lever? I fitted one and the gear change improved. Still clunky but its rare I miss a shift now as long as I'm relatively positive with it.

SW Motech is the one I use.

So, serviced and new clutch fitted under warranty on Saturday.
Made no difference at all.
N>1 clunk
1>2 clunk
2>3 clunk most of the time
3>4 not too bad
4>5 snicks into gear effortlessly
5>6 the same.

So what's your next move??

On what basis - the wheel spins when in gear on the centre stand and the clutch pulled in?

My old Hexhead used to do that too.

He's done 12,000 miles on it - has he reported the clunky gearbox previously to the dealer?

You're beginning to sound like the Deleted account 181015003 of the LC section, no useful advice given.

Back
Top Bottom