Keyless issue when stopping the bike

Me too.
All the time.
Then it doesnt roll forward of the stand or backwards down the hill (steep drive so its a habit) and.. Your mates who think it is amusing to start the keyless bike because you are in range, cant! Because its in gear.

Snap...

I've always used the kill switch,been doing wrong since 1976 !

+1 for side stand, as I always prefer leaving it in gear.

unless I'm going to use the centre stand as I'm reversing (beep beep beep) into a parking gap.

R1200GSA TB

Sidestand also as a rule and for the same reasons. Occasionally by the kill switch, which the dealer also recommended and BMW have designed specifically as a combined starter button to remove the possibility of trying to start the thing with the kill switch off.

Wow - didn't mean to start an argument about the best way to stop the bike :D

Anyhow - for the benefit of anyone finding the same issue in the future, it would seem that while the bike has a fault, stopping the bike requires a press and hold on the keyless button.

Once the fault was cleared, the behaviour is back to normal - a quick press stops the bike.

Wow - didn't mean to start an argument about the best way to stop the bike :D

Anyhow - for the benefit of anyone finding the same issue in the future, it would seem that while the bike has a fault, stopping the bike requires a press and hold on the keyless button.

Once the fault was cleared, the behaviour is back to normal - a quick press stops the bike.
Interesting. Thanks for the info :thumb

Well, Thats 10 minutes of my life i'm not going to get back!

I've never really taken a lot of notice with the GS, but if its anything like the Triumph's I have owned, turning it off with the kill switch doesn't allow the bike to go through its shutting down routine (sympathetic degradation -- as Triumph call it) I must have a listen tomorrow night. Isn't it the stepper motors that sort of re-calibrate on shut down? So i always just press the Keyless button.

Page 48 of the manual doesn't say anything about using the kill switch to turn off the engine.

Stu

The thing with Triumphs, and quite likely other brands too, is killing power stops the ECU powering down in its own time properly and storing stuff back to non-volatile memory. The GS does stuff 30 seconds or so after the ignition is switched off. So does my car. Certainly with T's, the main power supply to the ECU, via a relay, gets switched off by the ECU itself, some time after the ignition is switched off. You can hear the click when it happens.

The thing with Triumphs, and quite likely other brands too, is killing power stops the ECU powering down in its own time properly and storing stuff back to non-volatile memory. The GS does stuff 30 seconds or so after the ignition is switched off. So does my car. Certainly with T's, the main power supply to the ECU, via a relay, gets switched off by the ECU itself, some time after the ignition is switched off. You can hear the click when it happens.
Good point :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom