the unplanned tour

leedude03

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Due to me having a heart attack on december the 17th our tour plans for this year had to be cancelled until i had recovered enough.
So i had an appointment to see the surgeon on may 22nd, he would tell me if i could go on holiday or not, luckily it was a yes you can go but i will need to see you in 12 months time, so that was it i got home that afternoon and booked a ferry to France and a hotel for the first night, and at 4.30 am the next day we were winging our way down to Dover to get across to France and to our first stop that was to be Troyes, a total distance from door to door of 530 miles.
It was a long day but the weather was good and the crossing was calm, we were just glad to get away and into the trip.
Troyes, first stop and what a great place to visit full of charm and character and often overlooked, it’s one of the best places in France to get a sense of what Europe looked like back when Molière was penning his finest plays and the Three Musketeers were swashbuckling, full of medieval buildings, in fact i would go as far as to say possibly more than anywhere else in France, masses of history,several unique and very worthwhile museums, one of wich has info on the templar order that was founded here in the 12th century, all in all a great place to spend a couple of days.

On the way and Troyes pics

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 787
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 857
Troyes is excellent - seeing your pics has reminded me that I need to visit there again soon....:beerjug:

We spent a couple of days in Troyes and then it was time to move on, the weather was looking glorious for the next few days so where to go next, i had been wanting to go to the Vercours for a while and had never gotten around to sorting it so this seemed as good a time as any to head in that direction, so a route was plotted that would take us through the Morvan national park to an overnight stop at Paray-le-monial.
We had skirted the Morvan park in the past but never actually gone into it, what a mistake that was, what a beautiful area it is, fabulous roads lovely villages and hardly a car in sight, a great place to ride a motorcycle. We had our dinner in one of the villages we passed through a stunning place called Noyers its a village in the pretty setting of the Chablis countryside on the banks of the River Serein, south-east of Auxerre in the Yonne department of Burgundy, and its officially listed as a 'most beautiful village of France'. and we could see why.

Pictures of Noyers, To be continued.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 752
Sorry to hear you've been poorly.
Best wishes for a complete recovery!
(Purely selfish really -just looking forward to years more of your excellent RRs):hide
Richard

We said our goodbyes to Noyers making a mental note to return and see more of the area and carried on heading for Paray-le-monial.
We arrived at Paray just before tea time this gave us time to shower up and head into town to find somewhere to eat.

Pictures of Paray

sorry about the last 3 pics my fault resized wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 751
Thank you for the Kind comments,

We enjoyed our evening in Paray and the meal, the hotel we stayed at was very good, and in the morning it would be time to move onto Grenoble where we were planning to stay for 5 or 6 nights to allow us time to explore the Vercours and the Parc naturel régional de Chartreuse.
So up early and an 8am start to Grenoble on a route that will miss Lyon and all but the last 20km of motorway into Grenoble, the weather was starting to get silly hot and today would be no exception the forcast had said late 20s to early 30s so it was going to be a tad warm.
We arrived in Grenoble at about 3pm and boy was it hot, all i wanted was a cold shower and a cold drink the mercury at the hotel was reading 33 and i had had a bit of a mare coming through the centre of the city, it seemed like evryone was determined to put us on the floor.
Showered up, and feeling much better for having some food and fluids inside us it was time to have a walk around the area for an hour or two to get our bearings and stretch the legs a little, and to make plans for our first full day here tomorrow.

to be continued.

so the first couple of days in grenoble were spent just riding around and exploring the Vercours with some of the best roads i have been on, including the Combe laval (balcony road) and also the Col de Toutes Aures, the Col Prélétang and a few more. The place has so many good roads its hard to fault, and not a great deal of traffic, if you are ever down that way with a bit of time on your hands go take a look you will not be disappointed, below are a few pics from around the area.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 617
A few more photos of the area

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 627
With all the time spent on the bike over the last few days we decided to take a day off and catch a tram into Grenoble to spend the day and take a walk up to the bastille.
Grenoble is not the prettiest city in France and like all big cities it has its fair share of homeless and beggars.
It does have an old part thats worth a look, and the walk up to the bastille is good and the view from the top overlooking the city is good but i would not be doing it again in 34 degree heat, if you dont fancy the walk there is a cable car that takes you up to the top for a few euros. Grenoble as we later found out also has the largest university campus in Europe, and it is big, on the way back to the hotel we got off the tram to walk around the place, its like a small town. It also has a few very good museums that are worth a visit if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 563
I have no interest in cities, but those mountain streams look interesting and worth a few hours with a fly rod! The mountain roads add the second dimension of enjoyment. :aidan

I have very little interest in cities Simon but i am not on my own on these trips, and the big gal does have a say in where we go and what we see. I hope you are recovering well after the accident.

Isn't Grenoble one of the french cities where you need a Crit'air sticker? Any issues?

yes it is and no problems what so ever, and no i didnt have one due to the unplanned visit.

Back
Top Bottom