Rim offset

stuart jenkins

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there,
Anyone out there know the offset for a g/s (1982) hub to rear rim (2.15 width rim)? I can't find the bit of paper I wrote it on when i dismantled the wheel months ago :banghead:
Or can someone measure the gap between the edge of the rim and swinging arm for me?
Cheers.
Stuart (F@@kwit)

Not the easiest gap to measure but I've been into the workshop and had a go. A 18mm wide strip of wood would not quite fit between the rim and the swinging arm. So, about 17mm plus a little bit!
Paul.

Is it a mono?

I've measured my '84 80ST and I can get 6+4mm =10mm window packers between the rim and the arm. (Standard rim).

On my 85 G/S a straight edge on the outside face of the hub hits right in the middle of the small radius at the inside edge of the rim face, but it is 2 degrees above zero out there so I didnt stop too long.
Flat calm and cloudless, forecast 19 max so looking forward to a nice meander later, well rugged up!

Is it a mono?

I've measured my '84 80ST and I can get 6+4mm =10mm window packers between the rim and the arm. (Standard rim).

Intrigued as to why there is a discrepancy between your measurements and mine, taking into account my less than precise method, I've gone and measured mine again. I also have a '84 ST. This time using drill bits as 'feeler' gauges, I've found the following; 1981 G/S 16.5mm, 1984 ST, 11.5 mm. I then had a closer look at the rims. The G/S has a 75mm wide rim. The ST has a 85mm wide rim which exactly explains the difference between the two rim to swinging arm clearance.
Paul.

OK.

That's interesting. I also didn't consider the rim width, only just stating 'standard rim'.

Who would have thought that the ST rim was wider.

Thanks for the comparison.

I rebuilt my wheels a few years ago (There is a thread on here about how I did this, methods etc), and copied the original hub/rim offset measurement, but have always thought that the tyre (currently Conti Go 120/90x18 standard ST tyre size) was awfully close to the s/arm.

So, maybe I have nothing to worry about.

(I will measure the tyre/arm gap and post that up later).

Back
Top Bottom