r1150gs leaking final drive 63.000 miles

moonhead911

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
the seal on the fd started leaking there is no play on the bearing. what would be best thing to do change the bearing at the same time even if it looks fine. or just do the seal

If the bearing has never been done I would change it at that mileage :thumb2

What colour is the oil?
Honey coloured - nothing wearing internally.

Any other colour and I'd do as the boss says :cool:

no mate still on the orignal one
It's an easy job and at that mileage could go any time.

If you only ride local just do the seal, but if you ride any distance I would replace the bearing too for peace of mind.

Remove the seal and you can see the bearing. Check all the pins are in place in the roller ball cage and if the wheel is smooth when rotating by hand just fit a new seal .

Yes the oil is OK and there isn't any metal fragments on the magnet drain plug either the ball bearing looks ok

I had a seal start leaking and thought it would be due to the bearing breaking down. Removed seal and everything looked fine. Fitted new seal and no more problems for the 2 further years I owned that 1150.

Yes the oil is OK and there isn't any metal fragments on the magnet drain plug either the ball bearing looks ok pins all intact. Just refitted a new seal I'll give the bike a good clean tomorrow just to make sure it's not leaking now

I had a seal start leaking and thought it would be due to the bearing breaking down. Removed seal and everything looked fine. Fitted new seal and no more problems for the 2 further years I owned that 1150.

thanks how many miles has yours done

thanks how many miles has yours done

I think the bike was at about 70k. I had pulled the seal a couple of years earlier to check the bearing prior to a big trip and refitted new seal. I reckon the seal that failed had probably done about 20-25k.

I did a FD rebuild at 41k on my 1100GS, The other precaution I took care of was the Pivot bearings as they seem to be costing more and more, I swapped these out with a set of "nushings", cheaper and work great, 3000 miles with zero issues and I do not think there will be..

Regards

Back
Top Bottom