Euro4 BMW Acrapovic end can - Removing baffles

Alan R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It looks to me like the db killer inserts on my new Euro4 Akra can are held in place by means of the usual tacked screw on the side of the end tubes. The screws are hidden by the carbonfibre end cap whereas on a Euro3 can the carbonfibre cap is penetrated by a 10mm hole fitted with a blanking plug. So, has anyone either removed the rivets holding the end cap in place to reveal the screws or, drilled a hole in it for the same purpose?
The can has a nice tone to it but it doesn't bark like that fitted to my 2011 twincam.
More noise needed.:green gri
Alan R

my euro4 can was held in by a allen headed bolt(dome headed) in the end of each baffle, just inside the baffle itself, at first glance it looks like they've welded it proper, so it would be a pig to get at, but its a con, the slightest tweak of the allen key on em and they just break the weld and undo, when you reinstall the allen bolt it looks like its never been touched, well mine did anyway.

Was the bolt internal to the end carbon fibre cap? If so I think I can see it but there doesn't seem like enough clearance to get an Allen key to it.
Alan R

The little silver metal bit between the baffle and the carbonfibre?
Alan R

Attachments

• IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 2,769
the sneeky bastards:blast, mine must of been an early euro4 model, my allen bolts were on the inside of the baffle, the angle of your camera shot you would of seen them down the end of the baffle, but your right your allen bolts are clearly visible behind the carbon cover, don't see how your gonna remove them without drillin rivits out, I'm brave, but would fancy that on an akra, think id cry if I fukd it by accident:blast, id leave well alone:thumby:

That's the conclusion I'm coming to. 'Twas a bit pricey to be performing exploratory surgery. I'm tempted though....
Alan R

That's the conclusion I'm coming to. 'Twas a bit pricey to be performing exploratory surgery. I'm tempted though....
Alan R

Let me know when you do - I've been wondering the same thing :D

the sneeky bastards:blast, mine must of been an early euro4 model, my allen bolts were on the inside of the baffle,

It sounds like you can is a pre Euro 4 verison

The pre Euro 4 have the baffles held in with an internal screw and the link pipe to the headers has a Y shape to it as in the photo below

77-11-8-533-744_1.jpg

The Euro 4 Akrapovic does not have this Y shape as it's a one piece unit similar to that of the OE can or the same as this

17265421_1386722468069912_8069908601864454144_n.jpg

Yes, mine is the second version with the single bore inlet pipe.
Alan R

If we can find 80 interested people to give me a tenner each, I'll have a go and publish the results!
Alan R

Unfortunately from my investigations when buying, all the Euro4 spec mufflers (Akra, Remus, SC etc) have 'fixed' baffles. It seems it is a requirement as per Euro4 that the baffle cannot be removed. You can order pre-2017 (Euro3), however most re-sellers are only stocking the Euro4 cans and sell them as retrospective fitting part for all model years.

Unfortunately from my investigations when buying, all the Euro4 spec mufflers (Akra, Remus, SC etc) have 'fixed' baffles. It seems it is a requirement as per Euro4 that the baffle cannot be removed. You can order pre-2017 (Euro3), however most re-sellers are only stocking the Euro4 cans and sell them as retrospective fitting part for all model years.
I agree that the baffles are not supposed to be removed and the manufacturer has not made it as easy as in the previous versions where the fixing bolt was accessible. Nevertheless, it looks like a baffle retaining bolt is still the method of fixing the baffle rather than making the exit tube and baffle a one piece unit. The retaining bolt seems, as seen in my photograph, to be in place but inaccessible behind the carbon fibre end cap.
Alan R

I agree that the baffles are not supposed to be removed and the manufacturer has not made it as easy as in the previous versions where the fixing bolt was accessible. Nevertheless, it looks like a baffle retaining bolt is still the method of fixing the baffle rather than making the exit tube and baffle a one piece unit. The retaining bolt seems, as seen in my photograph, to be in place but inaccessible behind the carbon fibre end cap.
Alan R

Yes, they have engineered it so it can't be removed with simple tools. It probably can be, but as you say it could be a very expensive mistake to try. There may also be welded tacks securing the baffles further down the chamber. Isn't there a schematic you can get from Akra?

It appears that the baffle is a simple db killer and only extends about 100mm into the exhaust. Good idea about a schematic from Alrapovic. As this particular can is produced to Euro4 specification - applicable to Europe, it makes one wonder if for the sake of simplification of production, it's only the carbon fibre end cap not being drilled that makes the can Euro4 compliant: other worldwide markets are provided with access to the securing bolt. Need to ask Akropovic.
Alan R

Are they still manufacturing the Euro3 (S-B12SO10-HAABL) or only the Euro4 (S-B12SO16-HAABL)?

Hi there, just removed the baffles on my Euro 4 can. It required taking the end cap off, grinding off the welds on the baffle allen bolts, then removing the bolts and then the baffles can be pulled out. Then all that is needed is to refit the end cap with new pop rivets. Sounds MUCH better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent work Scottman. May I ask, was it just the tiny black pop rivets that you removed to release the carbon fibre cap, or did you also need to remove the larger ones holding on the adjacent strap?
Alan R

Excellent work Scottman. May I ask, was it just the tiny black pop rivets that you removed to release the carbon fibre cap, or did you also need to remove the larger ones holding on the adjacent strap?
Alan R

Just the small ones holding the carbon end cap on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom