Guzzi Stelvio

rhobgoblins

Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have an 1100GS which is fine, runs well etc but I have a hankering for something more modern/bit more power but also something which I can happily tinker with myself without having to plug into laptops or which relies heavily upon complicated electronics/fancy systems.

Don't really want a 1200GS but like the look of a Stelvio and it seems a bit more simple. Has anyone got any experience of these - any common problems or faults and what are they like to live with? The going rate seems to be about £5k for something with 20k on the clock. Reliability?

thanks

Rob

Have a root thought this section and you'll find a few threads on them............

One thing you may hear is cam follower issues on the 1200 engines and as is the way of the internet this seems to have mushroomed into something it was not.

Early 4 valve engines had issue with early wear on cam followers. This was limited to the early engines and was subsequently addressed on new production and retrospectively via warranty on problem engines. There are unlikely to be many out there that have not had the remedial work done by now and later engines were all good anyway.

AFAIK apart from that there have been no reliability issues at all.

Andres

Rob, I bought a used 3 owner 28k stelly from a dealer in Harleston..... I loved the bike - honestly the best thing I have ever ridden. It did it all for me. But the lousy fuckers at the main honda dealers in harleston...can't mention their name.....managed to do the bare minimum to service it. They lied about a lot of things and I ended up going to Mototechniks where they told me it had 3 outstanding recalls. The electrics were mullered and the clocks went tits up. Other than that it was the kind of bike I would sit in the garage and look at. Best mpg was about 40, Fast enough and torquey and the most planted bike I ever rode. But it went back to the wankers in Harleston...did I mention that? I will buy another - if she lets me. But the 850gs will do for now. Just my tuppence. John

I've had two Stelvios, the first replaced an R1150GS that I'd owned for six years. The first was a 2009 model, then I replaced it with a 2011 large fuel tank version that had ABS and traction control. Covered over 25,000 mls on them, both reliable, good handling and brakes, 50mpg easy to attain, comfortable, lovely engine and gearbox. Very easy to maintain, the finish and build quality surpasses BMW IMHO. Sound good even with standard exhaust.
I traded in for a Yamaha XTZ1200 tenere as I needed a bike with a lighter clutch and lower centre of gravity, as old injuries were catching up with me.
I would not hesitate to recommend owning a Stelvio, be different.

Thanks, I think I'll see if I can get a test ride on one. Time to give the 1100 a good clean and see what it's worth!

Thanks, I think I'll see if I can get a test ride on one. Time to give the 1100 a good clean and see what it's worth!

There's a stunning red NTX on Ebay at the moment that I am trying to resist, worth a look.

There's a stunning red NTX on Ebay at the moment that I am trying to resist, worth a look.

Oi...I've got my eye on that.

rhobgoblins....... I had a 2014 Stelvio NTX which I had for 17mnts can't remember the mileage. I absolutely loved it despite breaking down at the first 'Dent do' turned out it was only a fuse, but being Italian they put some stuff in strange places.

Lovely engine...Silky gearbox...handled well even when fully loaded....IMHO quality of finish was better than on my 2013 GS WC. Just an absolute pleasure to ride and delivers it's power beautifully.

Why did I swap it ? I often ask myself that!

For me it was just a little underpowered at 105bhp. When fully loaded overtakes over 60 needed to be planned and it did lack a bit of top end grunt. Having said that it was much gruntier than the 1100gs I had at the same time, and would imagine coming from an 1100 gs you would be more than happy with the Stelvio's performance.

I currently run a 2017 generation 2 Triumph Explorer which is a fantastic piece of kit but, doesn't have half the character of a Stelvio.

Don't get me wrong the Stelvio will take you anywhere and can cover ground very rapidly, but I still enjoy a bit of sheer grunt occasionally which the Explorer delivers.

Enjoy you're search and enjoy the bike if you get one, but be warned, Guzzi's have a bit of a habit of getting under your skin. Since I sold my Stelvio I've had a 1200 sport and am currently looking for another Stelvio to run along side my Explorer.

A local 'dealer' here still has a 2008/9 Stelvio sat in the showroom unregistered,along with a similar vintage Norge and Cali !!

There was a red fully loaded 15' plate on Ebay recently with less than 4k miles on but it was beyond my budget at £8999. I called the owner for a chat and he seemed to be a total enthusiast, kept the bike in his lounge over winter :thumb2
Maybe asking too much...£8200 :nenau
If only my 1150gsa wasn't in for some major repairs at the moment..

Back
Top Bottom