File storage on holidays

DCB40

Reaction score
Could i please tap into the vast knowledge of all things PC from the forum, regarding what do you guys do when your sd cards are full. I am going to New zealand and will have daily footage from 3 different digital devices. I don't want to carry a big heavy laptop about, so how/where do i download stuff from the sd cards too, so i can start again the next day with empty cards again.
Sorry if this is real stupid question, but i really have no idea :nenau.
Thanks Duncan.:beerjug:

I used a Nexto Extreme. I backed up DSLR and GoPro footage to it and after 2 months had 750GB of data. It takes most if not all memory cards, and you just slot the card in and wait for it to complete, no buttons to press or anything. Expensive and you could buy a load of memory cards for the money, but a great little device.

Of course, if you lose the Nexto then everything is gone, but thems the risks.

Alternatively, you could just get a Dropbox or Onedrive account and upload to that when able.

I can't see any other cheapish option than to get a cheap laptop with at least 2 USB sockets, and a 2 or 3 TB USB external drive. Try for USB3 on the laptop and USB drive. Cheap Chromebook?

If you were to upload using someone's WiFi - it would take a long time, I think?

Al

Been to Oz twice now ... Same system used on both trips

Camera rucksack with laptop pocket . & 1TB external drive.

Back up onto external drive via laptop every night ... that said ...

how many feckin pictures are you talking ?????

When i did Egypt back in 2000 i took 15 rolls of 36 exposure 35mm film 540 pictures .... and thought that was a lot. over 2 weeks

When we did OZ in 2013 i took 2x mem cards 16G and 16G 24MB picture size in Raw & Jpeg .. roughly 450 pics per card

Jan this year it was a 16GB & 32GB card

The 32Gb card will hold approx 900+ pics, and the 16GB about half

It's a lot of photo's !!!!

If I were doing a similar trip I would definitely take a laptop or tablet to download the days pictures to, then copy them to the cloud or another hard drive so that you have at least 1 set of backup copies (2 in total). Then you can safely erase them from your cards.

My concern would be that if i only had them stored in one place sods law will strike and another trip to NZ may never happen.

If you were able to find an internet cafe (do they still exist) I suppose you could do this as and when you found one, negating carrying a laptop about. I would still copy onto a hard drive though.

There are hard drives that you can slot an SD card into (not many and thay aren't cheap) but it will still mean you only have 1 set of pictures, should the worst happen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Passport-Wireless-Portable/dp/B00N4QG8MQ

Latest version looks to be wi-fi transfer only, so not sure how speedy it would be.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Wireless-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B01MT60Q7Z/ref=dp_ob_image_ce

2 weeks down south at 50 gig a day is 700GB+
Laptop is good, plenty of internal storage plus external hard drive (at least 2 for more than 1 backup which is essential). But the danger is laptop and drives could get stolen/damaged
Cloud+ laptop is safest but you need to transfer 50Gb a day up to the cloud it so bandwidth to consider and ISP data limits
3x16gb SD cards (48gb a day) are about £20 from Amazon. So £300 for 2 weeks + few spare + whatever you already have but the danger is theft but you can mitigate total loss by spreading out their location (number them) and if a card goes down you are not kuffed
And you could always sell the spare used once SD cards for 1/2 price on return

Ask Mike'O. He spent a few months there recently and posted some superb pictures and reports so my guess he's got the data storage issue sorted.

I don't want to carry a big heavy laptop about, :

Buy a second hand macbook air, light and portable, 1tb external hard drive and use an online photo site like SmugMug.

Backup the photos / video to the external hard drive and also upload the photos / video to your SmugMug account every night.

Problem with the Cloud is you need a good reliable connection, even travelling around populated areas of Europe there is no way you are going to be uploading 50GB of data a day.

Some good suggestions, so thanks for them.
I'm taking a canon 5d mk3 which has a 32gb sd and 32 gb cf card, which will suffice for still shots so not a problem there i think. I would like to video most of the journey with an old gopro 2 hero, and this will use a lot of space. I also have a little panasonic camcorder for mucking about with, so will be using that as you can see what your recording with it and you can zoom in on things ( can't with my gopro). Also might take my mavic pro drone as well which will also take quite a bit of footage.

So you can see there is quite a lot of data to shift. The trip is 20 days with 17 days travelling in a motorhome, moving on every day, so no chance of spending hours in a internet cafe trying to upload data for hours ( the Mrs would not be happy ).
There is the weight issues, as we have an internal flight booked from the south island back to auckland and the baggage allowance is only 20kg :( .

The Nexto looks promising, never heard of it but looks like a excellent option, other than that i could buy shed loads of sd cards, but this could end up costing more than the Nexto.

Don't have a clue about cloud storage things, if i lost pictures/video then i'd be looking at either Death/Divorce, so i daren't cock this up.
Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions, Duncan.

Takes LOTS OF storage AND get a good cloud storage account. Even if you have the space upload speeds can be an issue.
BTW don’t ruin your holiday spending all your time with one eye on a viewfinder.

Back
Top Bottom