Scary Incident - Glitch or Pilot Error?

Anything is possible if software is involved - random stuff like this can happen and finding the bug in a complex system is nigh on impossible.

You do know that this is the LC technical section. Such replies should be disregarded. It makes way too much sense :D

Not true, you can get it as close to 100% as to be statistically improbable, it just cost so much money that it isn't effective.

So debugging can be done if the cost benefit ratio is worthwhile. However, the cynic in me suggest we are all just paying to be part of bmw's product development plan.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I think it is more likely rider error not helped by your setting of ride modes. not had my 2017 TE GS for long, and I was very surprised at how the front wheel lifted on hard acceleration from standing start in the lower gears, but that said not sure if I was in the correct settings of auto for the riding modes.
There is the possibility of the Cruise control being turned on but I have never used it so not sure how easy it is and how it works.
Go out and experiment on a clear road in a straight line at least you be ready for it.
I do not really understand how the Video was corrupt, unless there was no battery feed on the cameras, and only power feed from bike, but even so it is odd that even if you stopped power would it corrupt all of the video?
Hope you find answers nothing more annoying that something like that at the back of your mind when riding all the time

I think it is more likely rider error not helped by your setting of ride modes. not had my 2017 TE GS for long, and I was very surprised at how the front wheel lifted on hard acceleration from standing start in the lower gears, but that said not sure if I was in the correct settings of auto for the riding modes.
There is the possibility of the Cruise control being turned on but I have never used it so not sure how easy it is and how it works.
Go out and experiment on a clear road in a straight line at least you be ready for it.
I do not really understand how the Video was corrupt, unless there was no battery feed on the cameras, and only power feed from bike, but even so it is odd that even if you stopped power would it corrupt all of the video?
Hope you find answers nothing more annoying that something like that at the back of your mind when riding all the time

Can you explain the rider modes statement please?

We know that if you get on the gas gradually the bike will stand upright and by rolling off in a corner the turn will tighten, conversely get on the gas hard and you are looking at a high side and roll off sharply you do the 'tighten turn worry about falling over due to lack of momentum' dance.

With the clutch pulled and revs rising could It have been that you've lent back and stayed on the gas? Pulling both the clutch lever back and twisting the throttle?

Could always try to replicate the situation Me, i'd go round the roundabout another 10 times. get to know the bike better. the engines are very tight when new and perform better when run in. mine was noticeably better around 10k miles. stalled the bike once at very low revs after a hairpin and the bike flicked me and the wife off onto the deck. best bet is pick the bugger up and jump back on. adventure bike is what it is after all, and you just had one!

Can you explain the rider modes statement please?

The OP said he was in a custom set Rider Mode, so it changes the settings for many things, especially throttle response, and possible suspension settings, on my 17 TE it makes a huge difference to many things especially suspension if I take the suspension mode out of auto (I believe this is new on the 17 GS TE)
So I think it could be a few factors from the Op's thoughts, a bit of everything, but mostly too bigger twist of the throttle on a very poor road surface, with the bike dropping on its side, in a custom dynamic mode giving a sharper throttle response.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts, advice and concern - much appreciated.

I had no further issues while travelling today, but when I checked the bike this morning after reading some of your suggestions last night, I found the cruise control was in the on position. I think the last time I used it was on some rural roads with a 90 km/h limit, and I had it set to about 95 km/h, so about 60 mph, so if it had activated accidentally maybe it could be what caused the problem, though I don't see how I could have hit the resume switch accidentally. However if it had activated I could understand how I might have been thrown back and instinctively tightened my grip on the bar and momentarily wound the throttle on a bit, which would certainly count as pilot error!

I think I will try to replicate this in a safe location and see if it would really accelerate so abruptly when cruise control is resumed at low speed. Certainly the opposite seems to be true - i.e. when you cancel cruise it seems to completely close the throttle giving an unwanted jolt of full engine braking which I've found difficult to avoid. I think I need to practice with this and see if it is possible to avoid the jolt by better timing manual opening of the throttle when cancelling cruise.

The corrupted video files are still a bit of a mystery, though could be coincidence as going back through all the files on my PC I found several other corrupted files, which is a bit of a concern as I no longer have 100% confidence that I would have video evidence if needed.

Fred

Buy an Airhead. We never get issues like this, we only have throttle cable synchronistion, ignition bean cans, and our leaky bladders to worry about. :D

I used a utility called DivFix++ to try to repair the corrupted video file and now have something usable, though the sound is seriously out of sync with the video, so when I get home I will use my video editing software to try to re-synchronise it. The sound of the incident is actually more dramatic than the video which doesn't look anywhere near as scary as the incident seemed at the time. I might put it on YouTube if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Having reviewed the sound and video my best guess is that the cruise control somehow got resumed and started to accelerate the the bike. This would be consistent with my recollection that shutting the throttle had no effect, and pulling the clutch would possibly have caused the engine to momentarily race until the cruise control fully deactivated.

I used a utility called DivFix++ to try to repair the corrupted video file and now have something usable, though the sound is seriously out of sync with the video, so when I get home I will use my video editing software to try to re-synchronise it. The sound of the incident is actually more dramatic than the video which doesn't look anywhere near as scary as the incident seemed at the time. I might put it on YouTube if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Having reviewed the sound and video my best guess is that the cruise control somehow got resumed and started to accelerate the the bike. This would be consistent with my recollection that shutting the throttle had no effect, and pulling the clutch would possibly have caused the engine to momentarily race until the cruise control fully deactivated.

If you close the throttle fully it cancels the cruise ... it avoids the harsh de acceleration of just flicking the cruise switch.So in theory it should have cancelled the cruise control ????

The cruise control is deactivated by the first 6 to 8mm of clutch movement and is instant.

I'd like to see video and hear soundtrack. Might give us a clue

The cruise control is deactivated by the first 6 to 8mm of clutch movement and is instant.

That would most probably depend on a digital input from the clutch switch, thus a badly adjusted or dodgy switch could prevent this happening.

Back
Top Bottom