Scary Incident - Glitch or Pilot Error?

Normal way to balance a bike thats tipping in and going to stall is to apply more power and balance between clutch and rear brake.

But as your turning right, the throttle will be opened by your weight being applied to your right wrist, especially if your gripping the throttle

Prehaps as youve tipped in, the revs have increased, pulling the clutch will further increase the revs as there will be no load on the engine, as

your right hand is still applying throttle. Straighten the bike up, the weight comes off your right wrist, and the revs die

Re cruise.

Do Bikes have active cruise?

I know on the BMW cars, they have active cruise which will maintain a safe distance to the car i

n front. So if you doing 60mph, the distance is say 12 car lengths, another car pulls in, the

active cruise will apply the brakes, reduce power, and start to drop the distance to 12 car

lengths. However if the car infront then pulls out, the cruise will then see the gap and the

reduced speed, and accelerate back to cruise speed.... scary if your appraching a junction, or if

the cars infront are then slowing.

AFAIK cars have a radar module at the front whcih does all this ... not sure if the bikes are at

this level of tech yet.

Hi Fred,

Sorry to hear the story and glad you and Anne are OK.
Take it easy and enjoy your holiday but get the bike checked once back in Blighty.

Re cruise.

Do Bikes have active cruise?

I know on the BMW cars, they have active cruise which will maintain a safe distance to the car i

n front. So if you doing 60mph, the distance is say 12 car lengths, another car pulls in, the

active cruise will apply the brakes, reduce power, and start to drop the distance to 12 car

lengths. However if the car infront then pulls out, the cruise will then see the gap and the

reduced speed, and accelerate back to cruise speed.... scary if your appraching a junction, or if

the cars infront are then slowing.

AFAIK cars have a radar module at the front whcih does all this ... not sure if the bikes are at

this level of tech yet.

In short, no.

It may be a feature on the next Goldwing but at the moment normal Cruise Control is only just making its way into mainstream bikes.

I can't imagine Active Cruise would get on bikes until the tech is very small and lightweight.

I had similar issue with my bike, 2013 GS lc-- somehow the cruise resumed the preset speed. I initially thought it was a glitch or fault however it was neither. The problem was my gloves- they are BMW all-round gloves with a little strip of semi-rigid rubber on the left index finger to use as a squeegee for visor cleaning. The end of the strip had come unstitched and was catching the 'resume/set' toggle thingy. All it needed was a slight movement to cancel the indicator and it was catching on the switch.
I have never known it resume as aggressively as you describe though--usually needs a bit of gas to get it accelerating if anything.

If you close the throttle fully it cancels the cruise ... it avoids the harsh de acceleration of just flicking the cruise switch.So in theory it should have cancelled the cruise control ????

Not on my bike. I can let go of the throttle and cruise control continues, which is the whole point isn't it, so that you can rest your hand?

You can open the throttle to momentarily increase speed, but when you release it it goes back to the set speed. As it is ride by wire I think it works differently to traditional cruise control which physically lock the throttle cable at whatever throttle opening you set. I think this is also why it cancels so abruptly as it does not release back to the previous manual setting, but instead just goes to fully closed.

I don't like that, and tried again today to open the throttle as I cancelled cruise, but still got the unpleasant experience of a fully closed throttle while doing 80 mph until my input to the throttle took effect.

Not on my bike. I can let go of the throttle and cruise control continues, which is the whole point isn't it, so that you can rest your hand?

You can open the throttle to momentarily increase speed, but when you release it it goes back to the set speed. As it is ride by wire I think it works differently to traditional cruise control which physically lock the throttle cable at whatever throttle opening you set. I think this is also why it cancels so abruptly as it does not release back to the previous manual setting, but instead just goes to fully closed.

I don't like that, and tried again today to open the throttle as I cancelled cruise, but still got the unpleasant experience of a fully closed throttle while doing 80 mph until my input to the throttle took effect.
You manually close the throttle as far as it will go and that cancels cruise. I've found a quick pull of the clutch lever the best way to disengage cruise.

You manually close the throttle as far as it will go and that cancels cruise. I've found a quick pull of the clutch lever the best way to disengage cruise.

Well I did try that today, but the throttle appeared to be fully closed already. Maybe I need to push it harder?

Regarding cancelling with the clutch, do you find that returns control of the throttle but in the fully closed position giving a jolt of engine braking until you open the throttle enough to match your current speed?

Regarding cancelling with the clutch, do you find that returns control of the throttle but in the fully closed position giving a jolt of engine braking until you open the throttle enough to match your current speed?

Yes it would, most tend to open the throttle a bit first then a quick flick of the clutch. It doesn't take much practice to get it super smooth.

Well I did try that today, but the throttle appeared to be fully closed already. Maybe I need to push it harder?

Yes. Push past where the throttle appears to be closed and cruise will cancel. But cancelling with the clutch and a slightly opened throttle is smoother.

Its not going to jolt with engine braking if the clutch is pulled in.

Only when the clutch is engaged again, and you control that.

Its not going to jolt with engine braking if the clutch is pulled in.

Only when the clutch is engaged again, and you control that.

We are talking about using the clutch lever to cancel the cruise control and the immediate cut in fuel, not disengaging the clutch.

Re the original post.
Something similar happened to me. Twice.
Both times in a straight line.
I was being slow and lazy about changing gear with the clutch.
As i changed up with the clutch, the engine cut then surged forward just after the clutch had been released, i pulled in clutch and engine revs went up then back down again. I did not look cool.
I can see it would be a laundry job if doing a tight u turn.
It did it on the demo bike when overtaking but that was a while ago and i can't remeber the exact situation.
I felt like it was something to do with the auto gear change, but thats just conjecture.
I did not have the pro plug in and was very probably in road mode.
Any help?

I assume you guys have the Quick Shifter pro on the bikes, up and down shifter, remember lazy gear change with the clutch could cause the engine to cut out for a slight period with a very slow lazy gear lever change or hesitation

Seems like overzealous twisting of the electronic throttle to me.
Its overly sensitive I find as it has so little resistance.
Give me a cable tugging a damper any day.

Back
Top Bottom