Replacement modem/router suggestions

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have sky broadband and use the standard modem/router that they supplied. It only uses 2.4Ghz. I have been happy with the speed 23Mbps wifi and up to 40Mbps when ethernet cable is used.

Would a better quality modem/router improve things for me ? I use mostly apple products that can handle 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

The modem/router is in the same room as the devices which connect to it.

The choice of replacements is vast but I would like something to improve performance. Also to not cause compatibility problems.

I can log into my router/modem and change, optimise settings to give the best results. But thats the limit of my knowledge on the subject.

Thanks.

The old sky black box, is a non Gigabit type

I.e. 10/ 100 conection (no more than 100mps)

Ok for simple lo def movies

Move to a HD stream in 3D and you'll get buffering

the New sky Q routers are gigbit connections ( ie over 100mps) however they only come with 1 gigibit socket

Most routers now from other oem's and 3rd party are all gigibit multi port.

Simple answer just buy a 3rd party router .....

And then trawl forums looking how to get your Sky account / password details into the new router ....

(Sky dont support 3rd party routers - it's against there T's & C's if i recall)

Santa-2512 thanks for that. Every thing you wrote was new to me but makes sense. Especially the bit about 3rd party routers. I will look into getting the info on setting up sky account/password on one before I take the plunge and buy one.

Back
Top Bottom