Fork Stanchion recall?

If you look at the instructions in the Oz recall note it does say to lift the front wheel before checking. Whether a slight gap will close up if the front wheel is loaded I don’t know, but I’d rather stick with exactly what BMW are saying to be safe.

Edit: Though the irony of putting faith in BMW here isn’t lost on me...

Aah yes I understand...just going on what happened in a dealers in Lausanne!

I'm glad I didn't have the cash to buy a new BM LC I cerainly wouldn't dream of buying one now thats for sure.
What with corrosion, paint problems, duff forks hey it makes some of the sh**y bikes I've had in the past seem positivley A1.

Its a real shame as the GS rides so well, I love the handling.

Who has ever really felt the need to purchase an an extended warranty on a Japanese bike?

I originally wanted to keep mine for 10 years plus. Seriously considering selling it about 12 months and purchasing something else. It wont be LC GS, my pockets are not deep enough to change every 3 years or purchase extended warranties backed up with dealer servicing.

Alot on this sight slated PCP... wonder who is having the last laugh

All it takes is for the solid top cap to be threaded and screw into the top of the stanchion the same as almost all conventional forks for the past 70 years.

Obviously cheaper to fix it using a couple of crimps !

Don't the 1150 fork tops, screw into the chrome stanchions I believe ?

Why change that method ?

I'm glad I didn't have the cash to buy a new BM LC I cerainly wouldn't dream of buying one now thats for sure.
What with corrosion, paint problems, duff forks hey it makes some of the sh**y bikes I've had in the past seem positivley A1.

Bmw certainly don't make "sh**y" bikes, I've had five BMW's in the past and currently own two including a 2016gsa lc, and without hesitation I would say the current gs is great bike.

forks are fine, paint is good, and it's totally corrosion free!!!

forks are fine, paint is good, and it's totally corrosion free!!![/QUOTE]

Give it time. previous BMW were well built. Why do you think BMW give two years warranty on used bikes?

Well the new ones patently are not. I didn't say BM where shi*y I said some of the old stuff I had where less than perfect but hey they weren't 17 grand bikes. Also the two bikes that I did the most miles (Duke 900 ss and K1100) on had still a good finish and I didn't moly coddle them either.

Give it time. previous BMW were well built. Why do you think BMW give two years warranty on used bikes?[/QUOTE]

I've had three oil cooled before and they were great bike that's for sure but IMO not as good as the lc.
Doesn't the two years warranty offered on used bikes also included used lc's ?

I believe the recall/check at next service will go live in the UK Monday 26.06.17.

How do I know? my bike was in for service 22.06.17 and the dealership said a new tech note
had been issued that morning, (but was later withdrawn until 26) so they checked mine but it didn't pass
the check, the dealership were great, said, we are not sure what BMW are recommending
at this point (bike rideable / not), so have a loan bike untill we know more.

I ride my GS offroad. (issue as per pdf posted earlier in thread.)
The dealership had checked all their hire/demo
stock no issue.

Not sure how many total failures (if any) have been recorded n the UK , however, you would have thought that for fear of future litigation that rather than being a dealer tech note and check it would be a full on DVSA safety recall notice.

There is easily the possibility of earlier bikes having changed hands a couple of times and having been sold via non franchised dealers will have slipped out from under the BMW service umbrella and thus only be contactable via the DVLA Swansea

Noticed the post on Facebook from the girl who's father was hurt in South Africa and so got on and signed the petition to get BMW to take some ownership of the issue. One thing I haven't been able to find out yet is whether this issue only occurs with the newer water cooled bikes or if it could happen on the older bikes as well?

Anyone happen to know??

Bmw certainly don't make "sh**y" bikes, I've had five BMW's in the past and currently own two including a 2016gsa lc, and without hesitation I would say the current gs is great bike.

Don't rise to the trolling posts.

Nutty if you read my little offering I wasn't trolling how is stating a fact trolling?? I was saying some of my old bikes where of poor ( shall we say finesse) but classed with the price of these new BM's and the quality you would expect from 17grand motors they didnt rust ( well not that much) things didn't come loose ( especially the forks) and remembering some of my trips they where very reliable. I had long trips for those days and appart from my Dukes switchgear which I solved they didn't let me down.

Noticed the post on Facebook from the girl who's father was hurt in South Africa and so got on and signed the petition to get BMW to take some ownership of the issue. One thing I haven't been able to find out yet is whether this issue only occurs with the newer water cooled bikes or if it could happen on the older bikes as well?

Anyone happen to know??

All LC bikes. Previous gen GS wasnt crimped, but used a thread. Seems that those GSs subjected to rough roads such as Africa and Oz seem more prone to failure.

I was due to buy a WC on saturday, but cancelled it, lucky our dealer darn ere is a good un.Ill be interested to see about the recall, ive heard its kicking off on monday too from another channel.My 1150 btw is great and ive no intention at this time of parting company, although the WC did seduce me somewhat, then somebody posted on FB about the aussie crash and i thought whoooa, and the love affair was over.I didnt fancy riding a russian revolver.Im sure they will sort it.My guess is they will have to make stronger legs.

I was due to buy a WC on saturday, but cancelled it, lucky our dealer darn ere is a good un.Ill be interested to see about the recall, ive heard its kicking off on monday too from another channel.My 1150 btw is great and ive no intention at this time of parting company, although the WC did seduce me somewhat, then somebody posted on FB about the aussie crash and i thought whoooa, and the love affair was over.I didnt fancy riding a russian revolver.Im sure they will sort it.My guess is they will have to make stronger legs.

Sensible man, I don't think I'd want to to take the risk...............say you hit a big pothole at speed, causing the forks to compress and then what??

Back
Top Bottom