Fork Stanchion recall?

I'm off to Spain on Saturday for 2000mile round trip. Got my recall letter today. Very much doubt that I'll a. Have time to get this done and b. will manage to get a booking in with my local dealer in time. Should I be worried about going without this being done beforehand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not pop round your dealers and have them check it for you? I haven't had a letter yet, but my 2016 bike was in today for an unrelated job - they checked my forks (which have no gap at all so are fine), cut the rubber sleeves off iaw BMW instructions and listed me for the repair when the parts come in. I'm heading off on a 1000 mile plus UK trip tomorrow and I'm quite content with the bike, the plan and the service.

What I can't understand is, if my September 2013 model with these small crimps is deemed to be outside the recall and therefore must be considered satisfactory, why change this method of crimping at all ?

I believe these crimps are the same as on the pre-LC bikes, but the rubber bush which the stanchions bolt into was a different part number pre-LC, so it may be that those early LCs with the old style round crimp also had the older bush. It could be that the new bush is at least partly responsible for the problem, possibly too stiff or too limited range of movement, which might explain why there is no recall on your bike - it seems like the combination of round crimps and older bush does not cause problems.

I believe these crimps are the same as on the pre-LC bikes, but the rubber bush which the stanchions bolt into was a different part number pre-LC, so it may be that those early LCs with the old style round crimp also had the older bush. It could be that the new bush is at least partly responsible for the problem, possibly too stiff or too limited range of movement, which might explain why there is no recall on your bike - it seems like the combination of round crimps and older bush does not cause problems.

No, i checked this with BMW technical via Lloyd BMW Carlisle.

Early LC bikes have a threaded top to their forks and are bolted not just crimped apparently. I was told this was the same as pre - LC bikes and is fine.

Presumably the forks that followed were cheaper to supply and no problems were anticipated without the threaded top and bolt. Unfortunately a costly mistake for them.

Early LC bikes have a threaded top to their forks and are bolted not just crimped apparently. I was told this was the same as pre - LC bikes and is fine.

Presumably the forks that followed were cheaper to supply and no problems were anticipated without the threaded top and bolt. Unfortunately a costly mistake for them.

Aha, a golden nugget of information

I'm off to Spain on Saturday for 2000mile round trip. Got my recall letter today. Very much doubt that I'll a. Have time to get this done and b. will manage to get a booking in with my local dealer in time. Should I be worried about going without this being done beforehand?

No not really just keep an eye on them and ride as normal.

I've just returned from a 4800 mile tour of Norway and Sweden on my 2017 GSA (recall letter had arrived but no time to book in yet) and all was well.

Enjoy your trip. :thumb2

I thought that this was the case too and those little dimples were added simply to lock the threads as some had come loose in testing by BMW?????

However if this was the case then maybe they thought that making the dimples a permanent design feature perhaps was not a good idea as the thread would be knackered if you ever had to unscrew the parts?????

Just rang Manchster BMW after recieving the recall letter even though my VIN is not in the listed recall range. Im in the queue but they are still awaiting parts and some may not be done till new year ,priority seems to be those doing high off-road millage.

It makes sense that the small round crimps would be to lock a threaded stanchion in place as otherwise it would be free to rotate and unscrew. Once assembled it would not be intended to be ever taken apart. If replacement were needed I would expect they would just replace the complete assembly.

Received mine and also one for the car so a matching pair !!
efdc91fd89c9853ee9f54df664c0cd47.jpg

Going to get my forks 'officially' checked on Saturday because I have some time on my hands - the dealer won't have the parts to do anything for sometime so I will be off around the Picos before any mods are done - am I bovvered? No :)

Going to get my forks 'officially' checked on Saturday because I have some time on my hands - the dealer won't have the parts to do anything for sometime so I will be off around the Picos before any mods are done - am I bovvered? No :)

Good Luck, try to avoid bumps in the road, Get back safe or we will miss all your Brexit posts! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mXkdr4ZBAs

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 447

I'm doing the same. Opportunity is there to check it a few hours before I have to leave so might as well do it for peace of mind.

God knows what I'll do if they say that there is a problem as they (BMW Manchester) don't have any parts yet as another poster said earlier.

They couldn't say when parts would arrive, said that they hadn't seen any yet that were out of tolerance and that it was only affecting bikes that were going off road although I know there's been some debate about that on here. They did also say that they were not recommending to people to stop riding their bikes which in itself gives me some peace of mind.

I got my letter 2 days ago but booked my service 4 weeks ago for 5 sept so fingers crossed

Got my letter today.:clap

Very exciting.:D

Ha Ha got two Recall letters Monday one for "Olive" 2014 sold after 30,000 trouble free fork miles...The other for 2016 "Myrtle" Sold after 19,000 trouble free fork miles... Then today I get one for my 2 month old Rallye "Blueberry" covers 5k trouble free fork miles Made me laugh as my forks were done on July 27th so Im all good..:)

Ha Ha got two Recall letters Monday one for "Olive" 2014 sold after 30,000 trouble free fork miles...The other for 2016 "Myrtle" Sold after 19,000 trouble free fork miles... Then today I get one for my 2 month old Rallye "Blueberry" covers 5k trouble free fork miles Made me laugh as my forks were done on July 27th so Im all good..:)

How's the bike going? Pleased you went with the Rallye w sport suspension?

Hi Nutty yes it,s my first GS after 8 or 9 GSA's so I was a little concerned but the suspension is fcukin amazing i had the GSA seats and that also makes it comfier for me. I also like the hill hold i know corny but i had a mountain top camber hold it was really good. Just been to Barcelona etc etc and covered 5k in 2 moths loving it.Ok you have to stop a little more often for gas, but when I'm group riding we stop anyway for XR and Trumpets etc. Its 3.5stone lighter and thats great for me. Tried other makes and some chain driven bikes to see, but for me the shaft and bells and whistles come into it. I see the 2018 GSA is a lump heavier than my last 2016 GSA so all in all i think i made the right choice :)

Back
Top Bottom